Dairy Farming

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi again Linda, and thanks so much for the response! So much "food for thought" there! :D How about a couple more questions? ;-)

What are your thoughts as to the ideal weight to breed heifers, and what do you try to get as a average daily gain?

You mentioned that November springers sell better than January...why? any other months that sell better or worse? This far in advance I can certainly plan things so that they're selling in the best months if I know which they are.

Another thought. How many services do you feel it ought to take before a heifer settles? I've probably been reading the opinions of the beef folks on here too much - fertility is one of the most important traits in their book and a heifer had better settle within 2 services. Three max. or she's gone. (Obviously no one does that with dairy, LOL!)

And how about cows? Was reading in one of my magazines that so-and-so dairy farmer had always had a 20% conception rate and so he was concerned when it dropped down to 16% (and the reasons for that were listed later in the article) -- but anyways, 20% conception???

Again, I must be listening to the beef folks too much. LOL. 20% is what, average of 5 services per cow? or am I reading that wrong? I figure a cow shouldn't take more than 3 services. But then I may have been spoiled with my little herd. 311 settled first service. 162 settled first service. Heifer settled 2nd service. And yes...that's all I've dealt with so far. Maybe my "herd" has spoiled me? Opinions on that?

Interesting thoughts on how I could be investing the money elsewhere if it wasn't tied up in the calves. True. The first two calves, back when I was 10 y/o, were the only ones I ever borrowed money for (from my parents) to buy. Ever since then it's all been my own time, money, and work. So I could be using all this money on other ways...I guess. Can't quite contemplate NOT having the calves around and just sitting down watching my money increasing (or not) while I do almost nothing. LOL.

Appreciate your answers and time, as always. :)
MM

Milkmaid-- I haven't forgotten you! It's been a bit hectic here with bids coming in and construction starting. Jerry is also into moving and fieldwork. Next week it should start to ease off.
Linda

EDITED BY JERRY
I am not moving! But I have been moving dirt and mowing lawn.
Jerry

:) That's fine, I figured you were probably busy as I hadn't seen much of you around the boards. Figured you'd be back eventually. And I can understand busy, LOL...boss is out of town right now so that word sure defines my life at the moment!

I'm going to go back and edit the previous post and remove the pictures - I'll just put them on a different thread on this board. Whenever you have time for a response...it would be greatly appreciated. ;-)

Edit...LOL at Jerry's response. :lol: :p

Latest posts