Dairy Cow Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

anybody had any success leasing dairy cows to a dairy for a few years until you could build your barn? I'm getting set up to do a grass based dairy, and, because I'm still in high school, I wanted to get some cows to start building my herd, but it would be about 3 years until I could get land and a barn built. So..is this a good option or should I just try to buy all my cows when I get up and running?

[email protected]

By the time you would get your cows back the genetics would be less refined then younger cows. Any managment errors would already have caused problems that may not be correctable. Unless they all are leased to the same location you would be introducing them to a combination of organisms that could create health problems when they are all brought back together. On the other hand. You would have cows that would be used to the dairy routine, you would know what you are getting in the disposition/milking ability/fertility front. Peronally, I would be more in favor of waiting until I was closer to being ready to start up.

dun

> anybody had any success leasing
> dairy cows to a dairy for a few
> years until you could build your
> barn? I'm getting set up to do a
> grass based dairy, and, because
> I'm still in high school, I wanted
> to get some cows to start building
> my herd, but it would be about 3
> years until I could get land and a
> barn built. So..is this a good
> option or should I just try to buy
> all my cows when I get up and
> running?

I am going to lease to my old boss. His herd is only about 200 cows and for the 3 years I worked for him, our health problems were minimal, and the bulls he bought were out of proven AI sires. I was just wandering if anyone had had any experience with doing this. Thanks for the thoughts!

Latest posts