dairy calves

Help Support CattleToday:

dbro

Reaction score
Is there any Texas dairies that y'all know of that would sell me 5 to 10 Holstein calves at a time? I would like to find a farm direct source that I can get healthy bottle babies.

dbro":2x5jnh5y said:
Is there any Texas dairies that y'all know of that would sell me 5 to 10 Holstein calves at a time? I would like to find a farm direct source that I can get healthy bottle babies.
I"m sure there are some. Check with some of the dairies in the "dairy communities". (Stephenville, Sulfur Springs and others). Most will usually sell a bull calf but seldom sell a heifer calf unless something is wrong with it like sickly, freemartin, etc.

What are holstein bull calves going for around Texas? We sold a 6 week old holstein bull calf for $400 last week, but he was raised on a beef cow with her natural calf to help empty the cow instead of being fed with a bottle.

shortybreeder":3jwuhtob said:
What are holstein bull calves going for around Texas? We sold a 6 week old holstein bull calf for $400 last week, but he was raised on a beef cow with her natural calf to help empty the cow instead of being fed with a bottle.
No idea Shorty. Use to see a lot going through all the sale barns but dairies are dying out down here. Bull calves use to be extremely cheap but have probably gone up like everything else.

TexasBred":1blozkxe said:
shortybreeder":1blozkxe said:
No idea Shorty. Use to see a lot going through all the sale barns but dairies are dying out down here. Bull calves use to be extremely cheap but have probably gone up like everything else.
Yeah, a few years ago it was cheaper to put a bullet in the bull calves than it was to sell them because of the costs involved with the over-night housing and penalties with non-sales...

shortybreeder":u927yzg9 said:
TexasBred":u927yzg9 said:
shortybreeder":u927yzg9 said:
Yeah, a few years ago it was cheaper to put a bullet in the bull calves than it was to sell them because of the costs involved with the over-night housing and penalties with non-sales...

here i posted before they run 25-35 bucks a head they are generally a few days old but when they are 4 weeks old or older they tend to be around 100-150 bucks

I too am looking for some dairy calves to bottle feed (5 to 10). I am in North Florida. I have called every local dairy around and several dairies as far away as 200 miles. It seems that some one has contracted with all the dairies that I have called to buy up all their bull calves. This is the case in the dairies further away too. I can understand why the dairy would prefer that situation but I would appreciate it if anyone reading this post that has knowledge of a dairy in Florida that will sell me a few calves I would appreciate the info.
Ken

Latest posts