dairy breeds for gomer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm in need of a gomer bull. I found a place that sells Jersey and Jersey crosses for $800.00 ready to go. I've heard some say to never use a dairy breed for a gomer but that's all I can find. Will I have problems with them getting mean? Thanks.

Yes they'll probably get mean. Have they already been altered to function as a gomer? If you get a big steer and give it a couple of shots you have the same thing but without the disposition (as much) as a bull. Plus the hormones wear off after a while and they're just a steer again. We alwasy just pick the horniest steer that we have each year and keep him as a gomer without having to give him hormones. The one we'll be using this year is the same as we used last year, long story on that, but he is a horney booger. The neigbors heifers jump the fence and come over and vifit him when they're in heat. He won;t go wandering if they're in heat, but he's too big to jump the fence anyway.

dun

mark":63a7ilyn said:
I'm in need of a gomer bull. I found a place that sells Jersey and Jersey crosses for $800.00 ready to go. I've heard some say to never use a dairy breed for a gomer but that's all I can find. Will I have problems with them getting mean? Thanks.

Yes, they have already had a vasectomy and a sidewinder procedure. $800.00 sounded hi to me but I've checked and the only vet I can find to do the surgery charges $150.00 and wants them under 500 pounds. I've already sold my steers and would have to go buy one. What shot do you give them, testoterone? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's testesterone, not sure because we've never needed to do it but one of the neighbors does. If it's a sidewinder, why have it vasectomized and why have it made a sidewinder if it's had a vasetomy?

dun

mark":v9025nh1 said:
Yes, they have already had a vasectomy and a sidewinder procedure. $800.00 sounded hi to me but I've checked and the only vet I can find to do the surgery charges $150.00 and wants them under 500 pounds. I've already sold my steers and would have to go buy one. What shot do you give them, testoterone? Thanks.

The tehnical term is "penal deviation". The penis is routed out to the side instead of underneath. Makes them not capable of breeding cows, also if being collected makes it easier(?) and probably safer.

dun

eric":1553rt9b said:
LOL....ugmmmm...what exactly is a sidewinder?

better safe than sorry. you wouldnt want Gomer to figure out that he needs to mount Bessie's best friend, Myrtle, to get Bessie knocked up.

mark":1ntxh239 said:

I don't think that's an unreasonable price for a young gomer bull ready to work. You might ask for a guarantee that he will work. We used sidewinder Jersey bulls for a while and they got mean at about 4 years old. So we bought a young Longhorn bull, had him dehorned and a vasectomy and he worked for a long time. But we're on our third Longhorn since "Romeo" and haven't been very pleased with any of them. We'll give this young one we've got now another breeding season. If he doesn't cut it, we may go back to Jerseys.

mark":cntq2ygk said:
I use 1/2 blood Jersey bulls as Gomers and works I A.I. around 350 heads per year, now the bulls you are buying have the job done so they're ready to work so go for it.

A lot of AI people claim that Jerseys have a higher sex drive than other breeds, which is also supposed to be why they tend to be more aggressive than other breeds.
I raise several Jersey bulls a year to be sold as gomers (they're sold already vaccinated and dehorned, ready for their "gomerizing").
The guy I sell them to claims that he would have to use double the number of gomers if he wasn't using Jerseys or Jersey crosses.

Ann B

Latest posts