dairy/angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

suscofa

Reaction score
I know someone who has a Jersey cow bred to an angus bull and a holstein cow also bred to an angus bull. He wants $1500 total. I want opinions. If I could get a heifer replacement it would be nice. Otherwise I know the dairy cows would not be good for a beef herd.

I have a 1/2 Holstein 1/2 Angus cow and I wouldn't even think of parting with her for $1500 even though she is 10 yrs old now. She has weaned off more weight, raised more orphan calves, and can milk for 3 calves for most the summer 2 for the whole summer. Sounds like a good deal to me if the cows are decent, ya know junk is junk but a good cow that is part dairy can come in very handy throught the years.

suscofa":3oze91zw said:
Otherwise I know the dairy cows would not be good for a beef herd.

I'm not sure I would be quite so quick to make such a definitive statement, especially since 2 cows aren't going to have that much effect on your whole herd - at least, not for quite some time. Dairy breeds have higher milk production and, depending on your operation - say you're into raising bottle calves - this just might prove to be invaluable. I don't know very much about dairy breeds, but I believe I would be doing some research and asking questions before I said nay or yea.

If the cows were dairyX angus I'd say it probably a good deal. Some holsteins are notorious for not accepting foster calves so just make sure the cow is very quiet and with a good disposition. Jersey usually accepts foster calves readily from my experience.

One of my most profitable cows ever was a holstein angus cross, always looked like crap, but always raised a good calf or two. She just needed more groceries than the other cows.

I would say if your going to milk them or use them to nurse 2 or three calves good deal. I would not use dairy in a beef herd. You don't need the milk, and you will be docked every calf they produce and the dairy cross heifers produce. Just a mistake to have dairy mix in your beef herd.

my neighbor has several holstein x angus cows and while they don't look sharp their offspring sure do when the mamas are bred to another angus. The calves would be 3/4 angus 1/4 holstein. I don't know, you're probably right about being docked. $1,500 total would by a good angus with a calve at it's side and money left over.

I am not familiar with dairy cattle, but I was told that if you have a dairy cow that has a calf, she will produce more milk than the calf will be able to drink, therefore, you must milk the cow daily or it will cause mastitus. Seems she would produce less milk if her demand was only one calf instead of a dairy pulling all she can produce.
If she has only been feeding one calf, then when you add the second calf, will her milk production pick up when both are being fed?

Someone set me straight.
I thought about adding a dairy cow before thinking of twins and other problems that could occur.
Chuckie

steers2.jpg

ABs_steer.jpg

These two photos show a yearling steer that is 1/4 brown swiss
and 3/4 murray grey.

Brown Swiss, I think is the beefyest of the dairy breeds. I would not be able to see the dairy in that calf. I think most of the time 1/4 Holstein or Jersey would show.

I'll try and get a pic of our calf from a 1/2 Hols 1/2 Ang cow. The calf is sired by a Red Angus bull. This is the first year in a long time she has only had one calf, she calved the 21st of Jan and has an average wean ratio of 105 on 8 calves of her own and has weaned atleast 5 others in the past years that were orphans.

Latest posts