Daily Gain Rate

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I have been feeding out a calves now for about 2 years. Mostly commercial "angus-type" steers and heifers. To date, my average rate of gain is 1.11 lbs/day. I am feeding mainly crushed corn and all the hay they can handle. There is also a 2 acre/cow ratio for grazing. Does this sound right? Seems the gain is little low to me. Any thoughts?

it is low. could you further explain...your general location, how old and at what weight are the calves when you start feeding them...how long are you feeding them...what do you use for your protein source...how much corn and protein are they getting...quality of hay...health and condition of calves...and anything else you think might be informational. are you including death loss, i.e. are you figuring total pounds of calves sold minus total pounds of calves that you start with divided by the days on feed (which might include death loss during the feedout period). with a little further explanation we should be able to figure out why you are only getting a 1.11 lb/day rate of gain. calves i feed out will typically average no less than 3.5 lbs/day gain, steers & heifers, while on full feed.

ROB

Gerald the corn is good energy but usually only around 8%. Seeing that you're in Louisiana that hay is probably no higher than 8% either so for one think you have a protein shortage. The hay is probably free choice but wonder about how much corn you're feeding. Some cottonseed meal added to it to bring your total ration protein up sure won't hurt you. How much corn do they get everyday?

I have only recently begun adding cottonseed to the crushed corn. I feed about 5 lbs of corn for each calf every other day. They free choice hay is bahaya. Calves start out around 250 lbs when I get them and are generally in good condition. This figure is excluding deaths. My goal for 2008 is to get this year's calf crop above above the 2.0 lb/day mark. Judging from what I have been reading, I have not been supplying enough protein. Am I right? :help:

You can't feed corn every other day- it messes up the rumen microbes.You need to be feeding daily.
And yes feed more feed and with a higher protein level.
Esp for the 2-4 wts.

Gerard as Howdy said "feed every day". Raise the corn to 8 lbs. and if you're talking about feeding whole cottonseed, then add 2 lbs. of seed to the corn per head per day. If you're talking about cottonseed meal mix 1 lb. with the 8 lbs. of corn every day. Two pounds of csm per head per day probably wouldn't hurt since you're feeding bahia grass. And if you're in a position to do it I'd break that down into at least two feedings per day. Your feed cost or gonna double but you're gain will triple and they should make sale weight much quicker.

Here's a desperate question - Is there a more cost effective feed that I should be switching to? I am currently purchasing the crushed corn with 20% cottonseed mill mix for $0.10/lb. Can anyone think of a higher protein feed for near the same price?

gerardplauche":1n5nwyv4 said:
Here's a desperate question - Is there a more cost effective feed that I should be switching to? I am currently purchasing the crushed corn with 20% cottonseed mill mix for $0.10/lb. Can anyone think of a higher protein feed for near the same price?

You might want to look into dry distillers (corn gluten pellets)

Wish I could buy it for that........ I don't think you will find much better especially if you are buying it by the bag.
Some by products might be cheaper/lb- but they don't ALL offer as much nutritionally for the money.

If I went to range cubes for $0.30/lb +/-, would I come out about the same, since I am getting the higher protein???

Most cubes don't have the best ingredients. You probably could feed just straight dry distillers grains with 8lbs of flaked corn. If you look on the internet you can find a composition table of distillers and the mill that you are feeding. Around here distillers go for $185 a ton, but they are a great source of protein. 1.1 adg is really pretty low, I didn't have a calf below 2 adg on grass and momma's milk. I think that if you add some more feed every day you will make more money in the long run. Every day you have to keep those calves is more money out of your pocket with fixed costs of operation.

Gerald you might find a cheaper feed. Don't think you'll find a better one tho at that price. I'd stick with what I have but feed them enough to do some good and feed them everyday rather than every other day.

Great input guys! I'll definitely give it shot and watch the lbs add up. :clap:

Latest posts