DAGGUM Mexican white tip buzzards!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey lilly

Reaction score
Another calf lost today to them blasted buzzards, drove up on this calf that was born March 27th, healthy, happy, eatin good tagged him the next day. and today this is what I found, along with 4 of them buzzards sittin in a near by snag!!!!!!

I"m not gonna post the picture, for those that care to see what the buzzards do to a calf, I'll post a link. Forwarned it's not a perdy site. I"m just so ticked off!!!!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/ ... d-calf.jpg

I can sure understand you're being ticked off, I would be too. I'm sorry, Jersey Lily.

jersey lilly":3fa0n6h0 said:
Another calf lost today to them blasted buzzards, drove up on this calf that was born March 27th, healthy, happy, eatin good tagged him the next day. and today this is what I found, along with 4 of them buzzards sittin in a near by snag!!!!!!

I"m not gonna post the picture, for those that care to see what the buzzards do to a calf, I'll post a link. Forwarned it's not a perdy site. I"m just so ticked off!!!!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/ ... d-calf.jpg

Worst threat we have here.

We have a terrible Buzzard problem around here---
They can come in so thick and relentlessly that they can run off even good mothers. One neighbor even lost a cows eyes to buzzards when she went down with milk fever and he didn't see her in time.
some people have gone to keeping a livestock guardian dog in with their cattle just for buzzards.
A couple have done REAL well getting the dog to bond to cattle
Others have had to put a few sheep or goats in with them to get them to stay bonded with something.
The guardian dog if its good won't get out persisted by the vultures-- and the fact that they can eat the buzzards keeps them from getting as aggressive.

WE don't have them either just the coyotes which I haven't had a problem yet there are enough turkey and rabbit to keep them satisfied. Sorry for your lost that stinks

Yes they kill perfectly healthy calves......they catch em when they are snoozin and come at em in a bunch. first the peck out their eyes. so the calf can't see to run.....then it goes downhill from there. I've heard some folks have lost a cow and calf durin calvin to these buzzards. Haven't had that happen (knock on wood) but this is the second calf this year lost to these buzzards.

jersey lilly":25f4hur8 said:
Yes they kill perfectly healthy calves......they catch em when they are snoozin and come at em in a bunch. first the peck out their eyes. so the calf can't see to run.....then it goes downhill from there. I've heard some folks have lost a cow and calf durin calvin to these buzzards. Haven't had that happen (knock on wood) but this is the second calf this year lost to these buzzards.

Pm me I will tell you how to make this problem dissappear.

Sound like you guys in Texas defiantly have some interesting cattle raising obstacles. I know there is adversity everywhere in raising animals. But with the variations of heat, insects, Buzzards and wild animals. I have a whole new interest in the State of Texas than I ever had before coming to this Message Board.

I suspect that many experianced Cattle People might fill like a Duck out of water if they had to shift to raising Cattle down in Texas.

I can understand why you Texans cuse'um. I remember an earlier post were they mentioned that they were in Tennessee now. Proablly just a matter of time before we get them up north. :(

Latest posts