D-Budding Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

KrystaM

Reaction score
I am guessing that most of you have figured out that I am very green when it comes to cows and calves. We have two young bull calves (banding this weekend). One is a Jersey calf. We want to take care of the horn situation as well this weekend. We bought some de-budding paste for the horn buds. My question is this, since he shares a pen with another calf, is it still safe to use the paste? We already lost one calf this past month and I really do not want to lose another. All information and suggestions are greatly appreciated as usual.

id use the paste on their horns.an if your worried about them licking it.pen them off from eachother for 2 or 3 days.ive never heard of calves dieing from licking the paste.but not saying it can happen.

If your vet has an electric dehorner and can burn the horns that would be my first preference... 2nd would be to use the dehorning paste. The paste does sting/burn and so you'd have the best luck if you penned the Jersey separately for about 6 hours, and possibly tie him for the first hour to prevent scratching the paste off. Some people also use duct tape over the horn buds to keep the paste on -- or from getting smeared on other places, like the eyes.

Just FWIW, I'd get rid of the baling twine or whatever's hanging down by the Jersey's head.

Thank you. We did remove the twine right after the picture was taken so he did not end up getting it stuck in his throat or gut.

Go ahead and use the de-horning paste if that is what you have. That is all we use to dehorn our calves with, and we rarely have trouble with horns later. If you are worried about it being rubbed on the other calf, just separate them for a day or so.