Cynodon

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Anyone with experience of the cynodon variety of bermuda? I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate acidic sandy soil under irrigation. Preferably to be able to graze and with the option to hay in times of abundance?

*edited because of a brainfart

KNERSIE":2pbksd07 said:
Anyone with experience of the cydecton variety of bermuda? I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate acidic sandy soil under irrigation. Preferably to be able to graze and with the option to hay in times of abundance?

Knersie, did you mean "Cynodon"? This would refer to the hybrid varieties of bermuda grass whereas Cynodon Dactylon refers to the natural occuring common bermuda grasses. All the bermudas I have read about prefer a slightly acidic soil ph of between 6 and 7. If your soil is more acidic than this, would liming it be an option for you?

Also, check out http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/TM-2.pdf It's about "Sunturf" which originated in South Africa. Don't know if it would make a good pasture though.

BeefmasterB":1f56rftx said:
KNERSIE":1f56rftx said:
Anyone with experience of the cydecton variety of bermuda? I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate acidic sandy soil under irrigation. Preferably to be able to graze and with the option to hay in times of abundance?

Knersie, did you mean "Cynodon"? This would refer to the hybrid varieties of bermuda grass whereas Cynodon Dactylon refers to the natural occuring common bermuda grasses. All the bermudas I have read about prefer a slightly acidic soil ph of between 6 and 7. If your soil is more acidic than this, would liming it be an option for you?

Also, check out http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/TM-2.pdf It's about "Sunturf" which originated in South Africa. Don't know if it would make a good pasture though.

Yes I meant Cynodon, oops!

I saw the bag of seed at the local seed depot, but no-one could give me more info. I thought the hybrid varieties could only be planted with spriggs?

My soil's pH is about 5-5.5 where I want to plant that, the wild SA variety grows very well there, that's why I was looking at Bermuda in the first place. Our local variety is a very low growing grass that makes decent grazing when ferilised and is about as hardy as you're likely to get. Very hard to get rid off in a season or two that's why I don't even consider alfalfa there. It will invade alfalfa within two seson and smother it out completely.

Ideally I want something that will make a few cuttings of hay per year that can also be grazed without killing the stand if need be.

KNERSIE":3tpwowf6 said:
BeefmasterB":3tpwowf6 said:
KNERSIE":3tpwowf6 said:

Yes I meant Cynodon, oops!

I saw the bag of seed at the local seed depot, but no-one could give me more info. I thought the hybrid varieties could only be planted with spriggs?

My soil's pH is about 5-5.5 where I want to plant that, the wild SA variety grows very well there, that's why I was looking at Bermuda in the first place. Our local variety is a very low growing grass that makes decent grazing when ferilised and is about as hardy as you're likely to get. Very hard to get rid off in a season or two that's why I don't even consider alfalfa there. It will invade alfalfa within two seson and smother it out completely.

Ideally I want something that will make a few cuttings of hay per year that can also be grazed without killing the stand if need be.

Yes, hybrids are sprigged. There is a variety that is seeded but I didn't have any luck with it and I hear that the seeded ones will often revert back to common bermuda anyway.

Your best bet, for bermuda hay, is to get that soil tested and add the necessary lime to get the ph at leat to 6. The amount of lime needed depends on the type of soil (clay?) and the type of lime used. Correct the soil and you could have hybrid bermuda for years to come. If you go this route then you will need to follow the proper protocols for when to lime, tilling it into the soil and moisture. Once it's done, it should pay-off in a big way!