Cydectin

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
We used Ivomec pour-on the last couple years with no problems. We switched to Cydectin this year and have noticed a lot more ticks on the cattle now than in the past (worked them 3 weeks ago). We had a relatively mild winter so I know that is responsible for some of it. I just wondered if anyone else had used these and noticed a difference in effectiveness. If it doesn't rain all week again, we'll be working them again this weekend and will see how they do after the second round. Never worked cattle from a johnboat before, but looks like we may have to try it! :) Thanks.

fit2btied":cadj0f79 said:
We used Ivomec pour-on the last couple years with no problems. We switched to Cydectin this year and have noticed a lot more ticks on the cattle now than in the past (worked them 3 weeks ago). We had a relatively mild winter so I know that is responsible for some of it. I just wondered if anyone else had used these and noticed a difference in effectiveness. If it doesn't rain all week again, we'll be working them again this weekend and will see how they do after the second round. Never worked cattle from a johnboat before, but looks like we may have to try it! :) Thanks.

Can't give you any help the Cydectin as the fire ants have taken care of our tick problem. Can help in working cattle from jon boat as we are now 17 inches ahead for the year. La4 is probably under water also.

We only received less than two inches of rain yesterday. I was expecting quiet a lot more. Today was a nice sun shiney day.

We tried Cydectin a couple of years back and won't do it again. Had quite a few cows that it didn't work on (they became very patchy from the lice, one poor girl lost about a third of her coat - and that was in the middle of winter). We have used both Ivomec and Dectomax with superior results.

Take care.

at a recent local cattleman meeting, our speaker was a salesman from the fort dodge company. he was pushing the cydectin wormer.

based on what he said..

on the plus side..he said that cydectin was a superior product for the control of internal worms, etc and that it did not kill the dung beetle, and that will help in the quality of your soil.

negative.. it is not as good on the external parasites, etc.

of course, the comparisons here was to ivomec.

take it for what it is worth, and draw your own conclusions. he was a very good salesman, and i had considered using his product, but maybe not with the bad results some of you are getting.

jt

We've had good luck with Cydectin, but we don't use the same thing twice.. we like to rotate product. I think you can get better results that way.

We won't complain about the rain AT ALL here! We had another 3 inches last weekend, and the grass is growing faster than the cows can eat it. And it's been a long time since I could say that!

I dewormed with Cydectin in April 2003 and October 2003. About 10 head showed severe signs of lice, I will not be using Cydectin again. I dewormed with Eprinex on March 26 and all seems to be well. I will retreat with another lice control product this weekend. From now on I will rotate between Eprinex (eprinomectin) and Ivomec (ivermectin).

Latest posts