Cycle After Birth

Help Support CattleToday:

RainMan

Reaction score
With all things being equal, how long will it take before a cow will cycle the first time :?: Or are there to many unknowns? Looking for an average...more or less.

most cows will come in heat 42 to 56 days after calving . an be ready to breed back if everything is ok. honestly tho some cows dont breed back that quick . scott

most cows will come in heat 42 to 56 days after calving . an be ready to breed back if everything is ok. honestly tho some cows dont breed back that quick . scott

Thanks Scott. Stupid questions....I've read a number of threads on the time frame before breeding back. Is the cows condition after the birth the main factor in how quickly she cycles or ?

I have one that calved late and I'm growing impatient (not a virtue of mine). Guess I'm just trying to understand the process.

The cows condition before having a calf and how well she holds up after calving play a big part in this queston. For faster cycling times take good care of the cow.

While the cows condition at and after calving does have some bearing, there are also variables that "must" enter into the picture. They must because each cow is different. Some will cycle withing 10 days to 2 weeks post calving (some can even concieve on those early heats), some longer. It can also vary with any individual cow from year to year. Granted I've only been at this for 40 some odd years, but I still haven't figured them out.

dun

Just like the good book says....forty days and forty nights is about the earliest that the cow will be ready if she is in good health and had had good nutrition during the preganacy especially during the last trimester and postpartum. We have O'l Boss Cow that cycles 42 days like clock work others are different....only the bull knows for sure.

does anybody know what a good avg calving interval would be
my cows seems to be all over the place with everything from 329 days to 416 days.

you have 11 to 13 caling interval. id say thats darn good. cant ask for more than that. scott

bigbull338":25fvcb4m said:
you have 11 to 13 caling interval. id say thats darn good. cant ask for more than that. scott

okay thank you,just started with cows about 4 years ago and is still trying to figure it all out,but i guess that is the fun part

Add Vitamin E as a supplement to your salt and mineral feedings. Cows cycle sooner when given Vitamin E. Using it, we have had cows cycle and conceive at 2 weeks post-calving.

Latest posts