Cutting vs Banding

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, that didn't take long to turn into the same old argument.

Canofworms.jpg

In my situation, its a lot simpler and safer to cut em when I work em. Used to try and band em when their young and cut the rest. Neighbor did this till he got "caught". He spent three weeks in the hospital. Made me rethink some things.

BC":bnuumk4m said:
Conagher":bnuumk4m said:
Interesting topic that I have been looking into recently.

I think flaboy is on to something as well. The same article referenced above states that the "ADG of bulls increase up to 19% than that of steers". Though I have seen some studies suggesting bulls get docked; no where have I been able to find the % docked approach the weight gain difference. There are several articles and reseach studies on this subject addressing implants to increase steer weight, marbeling, quality, etc.

My conclusion from the information I could find was for a producer that sold weaning calves there is no payback in castrating your calves when you consider the labor, risk of loss, medication, etc. PB breeders on the other hand have a different incentive.

As always, your mileage may vary.

There are order buyers in Texas that have steer only orders. By leaving them as bulls you cut down on the number of potential bids that you can get. Research has shown that the earlier that you castrate, the better the chances to grade and be tender when finished. Anything we can do to improve the eating experience of the consumer needs to be done.

BC, I have no doubt what you say is true about the order buyers. Interesting enough however, a study from Roman L. Hruska U.S. Meat Animal Research Center, ARS, USDA, Clay Center, NE concluded, "Meat from bulls had higher (P < .05) shear force values than meat from steers; however, sensory panelists were unable (P > .05) to detect differences in tenderness or other sensory traits between bulls and steers". Thus the "eating experience of the consumer" appears to be the same.

MikeC":2zpyap0x said:
preston39":2zpyap0x said:
Check with the buyers of your production. In our area banded animals are discounted. Knife cutting is desired.

??? A buyer will check a calf to see if he was knife cut or banded?

It's not that easy to tell either.
===mikec,

You are not thinking.

There is no scrotal sac left with banding. With cutting..... there is one.

The buyers tell us that the sac tells them and feed lots the amount of fat on the carcass...there is a correlation...apparently.

preston39":11kebce0 said:
MikeC":11kebce0 said:
preston39":11kebce0 said:
Check with the buyers of your production. In our area banded animals are discounted. Knife cutting is desired.

??? A buyer will check a calf to see if he was knife cut or banded?

It's not that easy to tell either.
===mikec,

You are not thinking.

There is no scrotal sac left with banding. With cutting..... there is one.

The buyers tell us that the sac tells them and feed lots the amount of fat on the carcass...there is a correlation...apparently.
It is good to see someone listens.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#303418

Latest posts