Cutting In May?

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
I've got a 500lb Bull that needs to be castrated. I've got a small bander but this guy is too big for it, and I really dont want to spend $80 on a different bander that I may only use once, so I'd like to cut him. I've cut large hogs before, so I'm familiar and totally comfortable with the proccedure. My real question is; should I be conserned about flys in May? What should I treat him with to keep the flys from bothering the wound until it heals.

Also, should I give him a tetus toxoid at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Tim

TGCJ7":2gs8whvp said:
I've got a 500lb Bull that needs to be castrated. I've got a small bander but this guy is too big for it, and I really dont want to spend $80 on a different bander that I may only use once, so I'd like to cut him.

Another option would be to ask your friends/vet if they know someone who has a larger bander that would be willing to either loan it to you, or come over and help you band this guy. Two is always better than one, just in case something goes wrong.

My real question is; should I be conserned about flys in May?

You don't list where your from, so all I can say in response to this question is that if you've got flies buzzing around, it would probably be in your best interest to be concerned - especially if this guy is penned. I don't know about your area, but it's been a warm, wet spring here. The pens are mucky, and the flies are already buzzing around. :(

What should I treat him with to keep the flys from bothering the wound until it heals.

I can't help you with this one, because I don't know. Most of the water-based fly sprays don't work, and I'm not sure if the oil-based ones would clog up/close off the wound to air - thus prolonging healing - or attract and hold dirt/weed seed/etc, and encourage infection.

Also, should I give him a tetus toxoid at the same time?

I would - especially if he is penned. It is cheap insurance.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Tim

I only have a comment of the tetnus shot. It is not necessary with cutting. The only reason it is recommended with banding is because of the moisture around the tight band giving it a place to "grow".

Hey thanks for the replies.
He's not penned, they've got lots of good grass.
I'm in SW Ohio - and they do have a few flies buzzing around.

I spent the $80. Now that I have it I don't kick myself for not getting the last time I needed it :banana:

TGCJ7":24uq40z5 said:
Hey thanks for the replies.
He's not penned, they've got lots of good grass.
I'm in SW Ohio - and they do have a few flies buzzing around.

Since he's on pasture, you should be good to go!

Jeanne is correct about tetanus. Although I would do it anyways as it is about the cheapest insurance one can get, and you should be vaccinating for it in your young stock on an annually basis.

If the bull has been on pasture, he is going to be a bad bleeder. At 500 lbs he has a good set of cords on him, so expect to keep him nearby for a few days to keep an eye on him.

Cut him right and flies are not an issue. My biggest concern would be blood loss, and possible death if you don't pay attention to his condition in the days after cutting. :cowboy:

Aaron - we routinely cut 500-700# calves. Just cut 3 fall born bull/steers last week - nice cheap meal!!!
Anyway, we have an emasculator to cut larger calves, but I don't think hubby has ever used them. After cutting off the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum, and pealing off the outer sheath, he just pulls them out slowly, so the cord snaps back inside. He makes sure nothing is "hanging" out of the scrotum, sprays with Blu-cote - good to go. Some will bleed pretty good, but (knock on wood) we have never had one even get a little weak. They usually go lay down, and that's the end of it.
I'm sure there have been calves out there that have bled to death from castration, but I've never known anyone else have that problem. Maybe it's in the TECHNICQUE!!!

Latest posts