Cutting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Where is 4ctopwhatever when you need him. I need to learn how to cut more then 3acres an hour of hay. I'm sure he could do 50 acres in that much time.

I could do 75 in that time. :lol: You just need to get multiple haybines/discbines and get people to help you. :nod: :p

Dun I think if you put a GPS system on your tractor you might be able to cut up to 10 acres an hour. Afterall, without a GPS, how are you going to know what you have already cut, harrowed or drilled? I think all mega-ranchers are using them.

dun":1szkrlrn said:
Where is 4ctopwhatever when you need him. I need to learn how to cut more then 3acres an hour of hay. I'm sure he could do 50 acres in that much time.
when I am mowing now I sure do miss them big open hayfields of Oklahoma and Nebraska but when I was out there I sure got tired of all those long monotonous straight,flat fields :lol: , I guess it goes back to the grass is always greener theory

I beleive with a GPS and an SGS, then you can hire any meth head to run the tractor you might be able to get upto 3.1acres an hr
so my suggestion is go buy a new tractor with all these gadgets and spend a 1/4 million so you can cut 500 bales of hay and you can sit back and drink Iced tea
boys we are making money now

Angus Cowman":y9t1f56d said:
when I am mowing now I sure do miss them big open hayfields of Oklahoma and Nebraska but when I was out there I sure got tired of all those long monotonous straight,flat fields :lol: , I guess it goes back to the grass is always greener theory

Based on having to stop and make 8-9 corners per field (clutch leg is killing me), I sure miss mowing the big center pivot fields that were just a big circle that you never had to make a real corner.

I guess I missed out on this one. I'd like to see anyone cut my Bohia at something more than 4 or 5 acres/hour but I guess it depends a lot on what type of hay you're cutting, how wide your mower is and how big the tractor is.

lavacarancher":1r04odd4 said:
I guess I missed out on this one. I'd like to see anyone cut my Bohia at something more than 4 or 5 acres/hour but I guess it depends a lot on what type of hay you're cutting, how wide your mower is and how big the tractor is.

The mower width has a lot to do with it. I had forgotten that when we were cutting the pivots we had 32 foot wide swathers not a piddly 9 ft disk mower. Of course those fields were also smooth and flat as a billiard table.

As I've said before, I'm lousey at math. Yesterday was 2.5 acres an hour not 3. Today it was 2.85 acres an hour

dun":2cdgcdfs said:
As I've said before, I'm lousey at math. Yesterday was 2.5 acres an hour not 3. Today it was 2.85 acres an hour

That works out to 234 acres a day don't it?!?

A couple of years ago I was driving my tractor and mower down the road when I spotted a friend of mine in a 50 acre hayfield. My friend works for a fella and he had just bought this new mower and this was only the second field it was used on. First field his boss cut - you know how it is with new stuff. Anyhow, I had a little time on my hands and we played a trick on his boss. I put my mower in the field too and we cut it in half the time his boss expected him to cut it. I left and was out of sight before his boss got back. He couldn't believe he had finished it that quick and was embarrassed that it took him so long to cut the first field. We let him waller in his guilt and self pity for a couple of days before we let him in on the ruse. :lol2:

i figure with a 9ft cutter you should be able to cut 4 to 5acs an hr.an that depends on how big the field is how rough it is an how fast you run the tractor.we cut all the corners after cut the whole field.

bigbull338":qpmw2ig4 said:
i figure with a 9ft cutter you should be able to cut 4 to 5acs an hr.an that depends on how big the field is how rough it is an how fast you run the tractor.we cut all the corners after cut the whole field.

Sometimes can get over 4 mph but not often. If we cut all the corners last it would still take the same amount of time, they're all corners!

KNERSIE":13hvhhh7 said:
In my case cutting and especially raking always takes longer than I expected.

Knersie, that's because of that big thunderhead that usually builds in the west when one starts raking. The tractor just gets slower and slower it seems. ;-)

dun":zbnhc1xw said:
bigbull338":zbnhc1xw said:

Sometimes can get over 4 mph but not often. If we cut all the corners last it would still take the same amount of time, they're all corners!
That is why I like the hesston and NH MOCOs because you can cut square corners as you go, my next moco will be a center pivot then you never worry about corners

Angus Cowman":l83cwde0 said:
dun":l83cwde0 said:
bigbull338":l83cwde0 said:

That is why I like the hesston and NH MOCOs because you can cut square corners as you go, my next moco will be a center pivot then you never worry about corners

What are these square corners you refer to. Never seen them around this neck of the woods.

Latest posts