Cutting hay on grazing ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Pineywoods230

Reaction score
I have been trying to find the sweet spot between how many head I can graze vs having my fields cut for hay (more so for keeping them cleaned up than providing myself hay).
I started initially having my fields cut for hay to clean up the neglected fields and save me time/money bush hogging but as I'm adding a few head (cow/calf) I am struggling to decide if it's worth fencing the cows out of where I can cut hay or allow them to graze and cut the overgrowth?
I am no where near grazing capacity as of right now so my growth is going to out do my grazing. (15hd/140ac) But to bush hog or hay?
The cost of a custom hay maker is marginally lower than buying hay that is in such abundance in my area of NE Texas so when I get closer to full stocking rate I will have all my hay brought in but for now how would you handle it?

I think I explained myself poorly. I will have to cut the fields either way to maintain them as clean as I want but should I fence the cows out of where I can cut for hay or allow them to freely graze and cut behind them? Not sure if their manure and such would cause an issue. I have no cross fencing just perimeter and one holding pasture but if hay wouldn't work behind their grazing I can bush hog as needed. I could use electric fence to separate hay/graze fields if I wanted but not sure if it's justifiable.

Tell us your location......Is this fescue? can you winter graze it? if nothing else let the cows in and knock it down

I think I explained myself poorly. I will have to cut the fields either way to maintain them as clean as I want but should I fence the cows out of where I can cut for hay or allow them to freely graze and cut behind them? Not sure if their manure and such would cause an issue. I have no cross fencing just perimeter and one holding pasture but if hay wouldn't work behind their grazing I can bush hog as needed. I could use electric fence to separate hay/graze fields if I wanted but not sure if it's justifiable.
I would not plan on baling hay on pasture immediately behind the grazing, I would cross fence with poly wire and get a first and maybe second cutting off part of it, then stockpile and graze it all over winter. I have dedicated hay fields I bale totaling about 1/2 the acreage of all my pastures, on wet years I'll try and get a cutting off each pasture around the cows rotation but not regularly.
With 15 head on 140 acres you'd never get off the bushhog... As you know. So I think you might as well separate it and bale it.

I would not plan on baling hay on pasture immediately behind the grazing, I would cross fence with poly wire and get a first and maybe second cutting off part of it, then stockpile and graze it all over winter. I have dedicated hay fields I bale totaling about 1/2 the acreage of all my pastures, on wet years I'll try and get a cutting off each pasture around the cows rotation but not regularly.
With 15 head on 140 acres you'd never get off the bushhog... As you know. So I think you might as well separate it and bale it.
Just curious as to why not to bale behind grazing? Just wondering what specifically would be the issue with as few head as I'm running. And yes 100% about living on the bush hog if I don't have it baled. Definitely why I've had it done thus far but first spring with cattle on it so trying to make a decision

Just curious as to why not to bale behind grazing? Just wondering what specifically would be the issue with as few head as I'm running. And yes 100% about living on the bush hog if I don't have it baled. Definitely why I've had it done thus far but first spring with cattle on it so trying to make a decision
With that few accessing it all it may not be noticeable but if you were to divide it so you can rotate them some, I think the trampling and cherry-picking what you'll have right behind them may not be of quality to bale. After a good month of regrowth it would be fine though in my experience

With that few accessing it all it may not be noticeable but if you were to divide it so you can rotate them some, I think the trampling and cherry-picking what you'll have right behind them may not be of quality to bale. After a good month of regrowth it would be fine though in my experience

Only reason I can think of is the cow turds. Wet ones aren't dry and can squish onto the hay. The dry hard ones will rake and end up in the hay.

I generally have excess grass in late spring and if it rains, late summer. I'm cross fenced enough that I can close them out of these pastures and cut for hay. Usually try to do the hay thing from May- July. After July, it's going to get dry and I'll graze it out rather than bale. Hopefully by September I can start closing them out and stockpile a bit for fall grazing.

Last edited:
I plan to add to the herd in time but for now sounds like I can let them graze and just pull them off a month or so before I want to cut. Guess the dried manure will be there but hopefully not a big deal. Thanks

Latest posts