Cutting hay after freeze

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
A old timer told me after it freezes you might as well forget about cutting hay cause it aint no count the hay gives the cows the runs. anybody had that experience? ive been lucky so far getting hay done before it freezes so idk

I've never had to cut hay after frost, but that advice makes absolutely no sense . If I had hay to cut, and had the weather, I"d cut it.

JMJ Farms":fxmu6ngv said:
I cut one time after a frost about 15 years ago. Cows wouldn't eat it. I really don't know why. But they wouldn't.
yea thats what he was hinting at, im just curious why

If it's late enough in the year to freeze here it's never going to get dry enough to bale

I cut today and gonna cut more tomorrow. I have fescue stockpiled for January that should test over 13% then so why wouldnt it be good now. Old wives tale.

MtnCows93":1p79t0oo said:
A old timer told me after it freezes you might as well forget about cutting hay cause it aint no count the hay gives the cows the runs. anybody had that experience? ive been lucky so far getting hay done before it freezes so idk

I can't remember where your located.....there is a location thing you can check on your profile page btw.......so anyways, if its summer grasses like Bermuda, crabgrass, J grass etc. which have already turned brown....I would think not too good.
But if your talking cool season grasses like fescue, orchardgrass, then it should make great hay, freezing makes it sweeter.

Latest posts