Cutting Fire Wood

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Last week while spraying the fence lines I noticed a large oak tree which had blown over in the pasture. I spent Saturday morning with Dad, my eldest son and one of his buddies working on the tree. The below pictures are about 2/3 rds of the tree. I will work on the rest of the tree this week.

I had my 24' goosneck full. These pictures were made right before dark last night when I went out to unload the wood after the temps had cooled down.

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

Thank Goodness for the hydraulic log splitter that I bought years ago. When I was a younger I would have split with a wood maul and wedges. I have since wised up and realized that I ain't as young as I was once.

I've got the wood stacked and will cover it in the next couple of days. This is the 3rd year that I have not had to cut live oaks for the fireplace. This wood will be used in the fireplace in the house and the wood heater in the shop. I am over run with too much wood this year due to the storms we had in March of this year.

Thinking about either selling the wood at the fall race here at Talladega International Speedway or hauling a gooseneck load over the the rich city slicker Atlanta neighboor hoods. I believe in the north areas of Atlanta they are getting $150 for a face cord (4'x8' long). The way I figure it I could get a small fortune worth of wood on the trailer.

that sure is a nice load of splitt wood.you wont be getting cold this winter thats for sure.the last 4years weve been cutting up fallen oak trees for wood.an those trees are so big you can get 8 or 10 cords of wood off them.have 1 that fell that needs working up now.

Is that redoak?? Sure made some great looking firewood. Can't help but wonder "who did the stacking"?? :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't have much wood left on there if I had to pull that across one of my pastures.

long pieces. my stove only takes 20''but 16 fits better. always cut it alittle shorter than the bar on the husky. wish i could get some help. here in fl nobody cuts firewood like i do..course ive never turned the heat on in my house either. im still cuttin trees from the 05 storms down here

Nowland Farms":2dubu6x2 said:
Thank Goodness for the hydraulic log splitter that I bought years ago. When I was a younger I would have split with a wood maul and wedges. I have since wised up and realized that I ain't as young as I was once.

I just built another hydraulic unit for the back of the tractor last fall. Pulling a lever is much easier than swinging a sledge hammer.

Isn't it amazing how you split it into nice little chunks with hydraulic units?

We have a wood furnace, so somebody woulda got a whoopin if they turned good oak blocks into kindling like that! :lol:

Funny how regional differences come into play. Got quite a few huge oaks on the place, been saving them and burning mostly ash, but the environmentalists are talking making laws that they can't be cut. Be amazed how many could come down in a weekend.

This is my first year with my own hydraulic splitter, always an axe or maul before that. Still maul a lot of ash, much quicker than the splitter.

Up here a bush cord is going for close to $300.

This is Round #2 of the same tree. This is all of the large water oak tree I have been working on. The tree was a very large water oak about 80 feet from the large creek which borders my property, so it got plenty of water.

This is what the 2nd load looked like. Not as much as in the pictures above but still a lot of good firewood.

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

I finally got it all loaded up this morning and will be stacking this afternoon when it cools down some.

I have enough fire wood to last me 2 -3 years.

Never saw wood stacked like that...looks like it was just chunked at the trailer....still a great looking load of wood.

Texasbred,

As the wood came out of the log spliter I stacked it in the FEL of the tractor and then dumped it on the trailer. Tha why it looks like it was trown on the trailer. No use in stacking to nice on the trailer just to have to unload it and stack in the wood pile rows to cover it up.

Dieselbeef, the pieces are all around 20"- 24" since my splitter will only handle stuff to 24"

Backhoeboggie, yes it is amazing what the logsplitters will do especially when the chucks have a lots of knots and limbs. I describe some of the real tough stuff "Ham" cause it is all stringy like the best part of a ham. When you pull (or split) the chucks apart, it gets all "Stringy" and looks like ham when you pull it apart.

Latest posts