cutting down a shotgun barrel

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a 20 ga pump, sold by New Haven, says "Made by Mossberg" same as Mossberg 500. I have been wanting to shorten the barrel and put a pistol grip on it as it would be a bit unwieldy to use for home defense with the full length barrel. I don't really have any other use for it.
1. How short can the barrel legally be cut down (shortened) ? I'm in Texas if it matters.
2. Where do you measure from?
3. Can I use a pipecutter?
4. What would I need to do to the inside of the barrel after cutting it? I don't intend to fire slugs in it, just buckshot.
5. Is the 26"overall length still the law?

Last edited:
Federal rules say the barrel must be at least 18" and total length must be at least 26"
Measure from where the barrel meets the chamber.
Hire a professional to do it.

Here is one of my Mossbergs. The full length tube is full with rounds and some to spare. About 3 seconds and I can take a wall down. I recommend as it works smooth.

hpFkASt.jpg

Last edited:
Way better off just buying one made like that already to be sure your in the clear
I disagree for 2 reasons.
First is the price of home defense shotguns has doubled.
Second is if you buy new there's a record of you owning it.
But you want to do it so it is a legal length. Any good gunsmith can do that.

I agree with the no ownership record, just hope it is not stolen and on a list somewhere reported as stolen.

I might buy a new barrel for it but at my age I really don't want to buy an entire new shotgun.
Hope not to need it for anything other than killing venomous serpents but one never knows.

I dont want to speak for him but i thought maybe Brute was talking about buying just the barrel. But im not sure if they make replacement barrels for that? If its the same as a 500 those will probably fit?

You say that until your face is plastered all over the news for making "home made sawed off shotguns". Even if you "win" you better have deep pockets to defend it. That new price tag of one will barely get you in the door of your attorney.

You can buy short barrels and handgrips for most main stream shotguns. No need to cut and saw if you have one. There are lots and add ons for them like ARs.

Plus, your home made sawed off junk has no value. If things keep going the way it seems your purchased tactical shotgun will increase in value.

Nice, but the Sentry 12 at the bottom of that article I would like to have.

Measure with the bolt closed. A rod dropped down the barrel on the bolt face to the muzzle is the legal measurement. I wouldn't do the pistol grip. Pistol grip shotgun isn't much use. Maybe shorten the stock a bit.
Don't cut with a chopsaw unless you use a cold cut blade. Use bandsaw or hacksaw.16191987322777037303691135149904.jpg
My take it outside at night tool.

Measure with the bolt closed. A rod dropped down the barrel on the bolt face to the muzzle is the legal measurement. I wouldn't do the pistol grip. Pistol grip shotgun isn't much use. Maybe shorten the stock a bit.
Don't cut with a chopsaw unless you use a cold cut blade. Use bandsaw or hacksaw.View attachment 4008
My take it outside at night tool.
I agree on the pistol grip alone although I do like a full stock with the pistol grip.

You say that until your face is plastered all over the news for making "home made sawed off shotguns". Even if you "win" you better have deep pockets to defend it. That new price tag of one will barely get you in the door of your attorney.

You can buy short barrels and handgrips for most main stream shotguns. No need to cut and saw if you have one. There are lots and add ons for them like ARs.

Plus, your home made sawed off junk has no value. If things keep going the way it seems your purchased tactical shotgun will increase in value.
I understand your concern about the home made but it can be done to be 18.5" and be perfectly legal. I wouldn't touch one less than 18". The idea of a short barrel and hand grips is good. The tactical shotguns have gotten very expensive and I just wont pay the price.

I have a 20 ga pump, sold by New Haven, says "Made by Mossberg" same as Mossberg 500. I have been wanting to shorten the barrel and put a pistol grip on it as it would be a bit unwieldy to use for home defense with the full length barrel. I don't really have any other use for it.
1. How short can the barrel legally be cut down (shortened) ? I'm in Texas if it matters.
2. Where do you measure from?
3. Can I use a pipecutter?
4. What would I need to do to the inside of the barrel after cutting it? I don't intend to fire slugs in it, just buckshot.
5. Is the 26"overall length still the law?
You can use a pipe cutter to create a straight line around the barrel, but don't cut the barrel with it. Pipe cutters squeeze as they cut. So you would essentially be creating an out of round choke. Use a hack saw it but off wheel to cut through it. Then a rat tail file for the burrs. Paint the bare metal with a sharpie marker and heat it with a lighter. It's like a poor man's blueing.

Ex father in law had a cut down single shot 16ga. Pistol grip, 12" barrel . He used it to shoot pigeons in the barn. It looked scary.

I agree on the pistol grip alone although I do like a full stock with the pistol grip.
I have previously had a pistol grip on it just to try and wanted the shortened barrel with a pistol grip so my wife could use it easily. It's a cheap composite Hogue and small for my hand but perfect for wife. She has short arms and had trouble racking the next shell in the chamber with the longer 'stock' stock.
As far as present or future monetary or resale value, the shotgun has none to me.

Latest posts