cutting corners:(

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4":s31i1uyz said:
I've got a hot plate,a microwave and a toster oven.No cooking
I'm 64,bad knees+
Been trying to think of another part time job,but I can't stand up for long..also can't drive much anymore..Sounds like I've given up,but I assure you I haven't.. Just gotta think of what I can do.

I feel for you Peg! Have you ever thought of selling items on ebay. I started doing it to make some extra money when milk prices were low, and really like it, and still do it. Go to flea markets or sell anything you don't need anymore, seems there is always someone who wants what you think is junk.

As far as the hospital bills, make sure they don't charge you interest, around here, as long as you pay what you can a month, they will not charge interest, that would help out too.

Hang in there, we all have been through tough times.

GMN

Gosh, Peg, I really feel for you. A long time ago I was in the same position. I couldn't work for 6 months. Here's a few things I did -

Turn off the hot water heater at the circuit breaker. Turn it on about 20 minutes before your shower and then turn it back off. It sucks electricity all day and you only need it for 30 minutes. When I did this, it cut my electricity bill my 70%.

Cut the heat to 60-65, but not off. With the winter approaching, you will need it to keep from getting hypothermia. Turn it off when you aren't there.

Look into on-line jobs. There's tons of stuff anyone can do through the internet. Don't get into any that require up front money unless it is to buy the supplies to make stuff at home - even then be careful.

Tell the docs you don't have insurance. Most will slash your bills if they don't have to mess with insurance.

Keep the faith, lady. We're all pulling for you and keep in mind that God still has a plan for you.

Thanks for all the advice,very helpful..Got a couple of books to read on cutting costs-couple of places to call when I get home..I just gotta get my head back in the game.. :oops: Got knocked for a loop by a storm that blew a branch onto the powerline from the pole to the house.Pulled everything
outside the house lose.. :cry: Cost me $1,100 to get it fixed..
No,don't think I got scammed.He had to cut limbs back and replace 35 year old stuff my Dad had put up.. He was amazed
it had lasted that long without bursting into flames.. :shock:
Daddy was not an electriction..

peg4x4":138f2ko2 said:
Gotta pay Dr bills, :shock: so must find corners to cut. Already unplug all unnessary electrical stuff that sips E. No heat,don't need it right now . Letting magazine subscriptions lapse :cry:
Now on only one trip to Library(I'll miss here) :x With gas 3.00
a gal,can't afford to run truck unless to work. Will not cut food for me or cats.
But gotta cut more. :frowns: Any suggestions? :help:

Consolidate trips, and plan them to be the most cost effective - map out your route so you're not recrossing your trail. Swap out your telephone service for a pre-paid cellular phone, and shop around for the one that is the most cost-effective, but still provides the most bang for the buck. Get rid of internet. If you don't already, learn to like casseroles. Take one day a week to cook several inexpensive things, and freeze the leftovers. That way you have options for dinner/lunch at work without the cost. Swap out incandescent bulbs for flourescent bulbs. Swap out cable for reading/an occasional movie. That is all I can think of right now, but I hope it helps.

msscamp":v6qqbeln said:
peg4x4":v6qqbeln said:
Gotta pay Dr bills, :shock: so must find corners to cut. Already unplug all unnessary electrical stuff that sips E. No heat,don't need it right now . Letting magazine subscriptions lapse :cry:
a gal,can't afford to run truck unless to work. Will not cut food for me or cats.

Consolidate trips, and plan them to be the most cost effective - map out your route so you're not recrossing your trail. Swap out your telephone service for a pre-paid cellular phone, and shop around for the one that is the most cost-effective, but still provides the most bang for the buck. Get rid of internet. If you don't already, learn to like casseroles. Take one day a week to cook several inexpensive things, and freeze the leftovers. That way you have options for dinner/lunch at work without the cost. Swap out incandescent bulbs for flourescent bulbs. Swap out cable for reading/an occasional movie. That is all I can think of right now, but I hope it helps.
No internet-no cable-phone plugs into the wall-get books /mags from library-Don't smoke/drink-If I rent a movie,I have to make another trip to bring it back.May start takeing lunch,buy small tv dinner right now.. :roll: It's nice and warm here,but I have a new in-box electric heater for cold weather.
Thanks for all the tips and good thoughts :heart:

They are right about that book, Tightwad gazette. I have had all 3 books. One thing, even though you may not use all the ideas, you could possibly use some. It does make you think about other possiblities. That one idea, works too, about shutting off the water heater at the box. Hope you will soon be doing better. Merry

peg4x4":t4hk3abt said:
msscamp":t4hk3abt said:
peg4x4":t4hk3abt said:

If I rent a movie,I have to make another trip to bring it back.

Check out NetFlix - it just might fit into your budget, and there is no return trip necessary. ;-) Peg, for what it's worth, I really hate it that you're having to deal with this. I also have every confidence that you will win! :)

Lammie":7hb4rx2w said:
Peg, if you can't afford your medical bills, just pay what you can. No one can say anything. Even if you just pay five bucks a month.

Have you looked into SSI? Medicaid? If you can't work then you should apply for those benefits. Medicaid will pay for everything. A supplement will cover everything else. There isn't any reason why someone your age who has been though so much should have to do without basic things in order to pay medical bills. Call the local social security office. If you get turned down the first time, when you do get coverage, they will reimburse you back to the time they first turned you down.

Don't do without. Please. :heart:
Peg, I wish I could help you in someway.Have you checked with the social security office ? You should be able to quailfy for something there. If you are turned down the first time keep going back. My sister-in-law faught with them for about 6 months. But she finally got disability. They paid all of back medical bills.Have you checked with the human service office ? I know they have adult services.
As far as the medical bills go, pay what you can.Even if they get upset. Oh well,thats all you can pay.
Keep your head up and take care.

Talked to one of the "billers".He/they were very happy to accept 25.00 for the first payment! :D Thanks! :heart: I wouldn't have had the nerve to suggest a payment plan without you all! :oops:
Now to talk to the rest of them ~~~~~~ :help: :cry: :shock: ~~~ It'll be ok,youall have my back. :lol:

peg4x4":1g8va2tt said:
Talked to one of the "billers".He/they were very happy to accept 25.00 for the first payment! :D Thanks! :heart: I wouldn't have had the nerve to suggest a payment plan without you all! :oops:
Now to talk to the rest of them ~~~~~~ :help: :cry: :shock: ~~~ It'll be ok,youall have my back. :lol:

They will be happy to accept any payment plan you can come up with, or sometimes even with doctor bills/hospitals, they will cut out some expenses totally. When my Mom died and my Dad got the bill after what the insurance would pay, he hired a lawyer and a agreement was reached where the hospital cut off a certain % of the whole bill, saved him tons of money. But I have heard of them doing this before. i know there is a term for it, but I do not know what it is.

They should offer no interest on doctor bills, you should definetely ask about that, because that will save you money also. As long as you pay something, they should not have aproblem with that, something is better than nothing in their eyes.

Have you ever thought about going to a debt counseling place, usually it s free, and these people can work with your debtors and come up with a plan that works for all. Save you stress!

GMN

GMN":lkmek43k said:
Have you ever thought about going to a debt counseling place, usually it s free, and these people can work with your debtors and come up with a plan that works for all. Save you stress!

GMN

Be really careful of these - some of them are worse scammers than high rate credit card issuers.

GMN":cxskuv2m said:
peg4x4":cxskuv2m said:

They will be happy to accept any payment plan you can come up with, or sometimes even with doctor bills/hospitals, they will cut out some expenses totally. When my Mom died and my Dad got the bill after what the insurance would pay, he hired a lawyer and a agreement was reached where the hospital cut off a certain % of the whole bill, saved him tons of money.

I'm thinking the lawyer had a lot to do with the cutting down was was owed. I know that when my brother died, the hospital never backed down on what was owed.

i know there is a term for it, but I do not know what it is.

I'm thinking the term is arbitration, but I could be wrong on that.

GMN

Having consulted a number of debt counseling places following my seperation/subsequent divorce, I believe I can honestly say they are almost NEVER free. True, most of them don't charge up front fees, but they either expect a "donation", or the costs are included in the payments to your creditors.

Lammie":h9thiel7 said:
Medicaid? If you can't work then you should apply for those benefits. Medicaid will pay for everything.

The only way Peg would be eligible for Medicaid would be if she had dependent children - and even then, it would probably only pay for the dependent children.

msscamp":10l0ys9g said:
Lammie":10l0ys9g said:
Medicaid? If you can't work then you should apply for those benefits. Medicaid will pay for everything.

The only way Peg would be eligible for Medicaid would be if she had dependent children - and even then, it would probably only pay for the dependent children.

I'm not sure of the intricacies of the medicaid rules in Texas, each state does vary in it's polices. However, generally medicaid is available to families with dependent children and to adults that have been found to be disabled for a period of 12 months or more, there is usually a policy to allow for a retroactive application to cover up to 3 months prior to application. It would be worth checking into her local Human Services agency. Many hospitals have a social services division and can offer information/resources to folks needing assistance with paying for their medical expenses.

I got 6 more months till medicare..How did I get so old? :shock: :(
Am going to cancle my insurance-16.00$ a week and they maxed out at 2,000.oo$. :( Phoned them and they're sending me the forms..can use that money better to pay on bills..
Unpluged washer,as it has a "chip"and so uses E even when it's "off" :x
Supposed to turn cold tomorrow,so gotta put plastic over doors and windows today. Also get the heater out of the box..
Things are better than I make them sound-the roof is sound,as is the floor.No broken windows..Enough to eat,feed the cats and buy gas for the truck.Taxes are paid..Just HATE
oweing money :mad: :cry:

In Texas, single, childless people can get medicaid if they are totally disabled, whether mentally or physically. The catch...going thru all kinds of heck to prove the disability. Takes a lot of time, and is frustrating.

I knew a woman that had rheumatoid arthritis in both knees so bad that she could not walk and the pain was incredible. After 2 years, a mountain of debt, and hospital bills that could never be paid, plus being told that she could work as a greeter at a place like Wal Mart, or jobs of that nature by eligibility workers(how insulting is that!), the woman managed to get medicaid.

Alice

Libraran friend read "The Courage to be Rich" by Suze Orman
so now I've got it to read.. So that I can handle it when I win the Lottery. :lol:
Being a doorgreeter isn't demeaning,there's a lot you have to do that's not apperent to the casual observer..You'd be supprised :shock: However,I was told I didn't qualify for disability,as I was working-but if I quit and got disiability,I'd have to find a job :???: :roll: Very confuseinating

peg4x4":2549y1p9 said:
Libraran friend read "The Courage to be Rich" by Suze Orman
so now I've got it to read.. So that I can handle it when I win the Lottery. :lol:
Being a doorgreeter isn't demeaning,there's a lot you have to do that's not apperent to the casual observer..You'd be supprised :shock: However,I was told I didn't qualify for disability,as I was working-but if I quit and got disiability,I'd have to find a job :???: :roll: Very confuseinating

didn't mean to imply the door greeter job was demeaning, peg. Sorry if it came across that way. What I found insulting was that this woman was in agony every waking moment, yet she had some eligibility worker tell her that she was able to work...like the woman didn't even know her own painful limitations...like the doctor who worked tirelessly with her to get her qualified didn't know what the woman could and could not do.

Alice

Some igmo on the Supreme Court no less said if you can wash your face your not disabled :mad: Wonder how she feels about that now that her husband is so ill(I think he is)
Something is wrong with the system :cry: :(
Gotta go-got bumped!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Latest posts