cutting calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
last wednesday i cut 10 bull calves.. they were around 400-450 lbs.. it was the first time i cut them completely by my self.. usually we hall them to the vet, but i have decided to start working them myself.. everything seemed to go alright, but I'm a little worried about infection. some of the calves sacs look almost identical to before the were cut size wise.. some of the smaller calves in the bunch look like they have began to shrink in size.. the sac looks to be healed over. i gave them a shot of penicillin and tetanus. should i be worried or will they go ahead and dry down like they should? none of them seem to feel bad, eating good, and no droopy ears.. thank you for the help

We knife cut about 30 calves a year. They are a little smaller than the ones you describe, however, there has always been some that have impressive swelling. It will go away. A week out, I think that is normal for you to have what still appears like a pair of testicles down there, size wise at least. The offending tissue won't behave like a pair of them movement wise. When we cut a larger one we usually use emasculators but this far out bleeding should not be an issue for those calves. We don't give any penicillin so you have already done more than I do. I check them every day and make sure they are all nursing and up moving around. Depending on where you are, fly strike could be a problem this time of year (we cut sometime in May when bugs are not bad) but honestly I think you are just seeing normal swelling. If this was your first time doing it, maybe you might have caused a bit more swelling than normal with hesistant cutting of the the scrotum or cord? This is just an idea and I am sure you didn't do anything wrong but just thinking that if you were hesistant in slicing through the bottom of the scrotum it could cause more tissue irritation. Long and short of it is, if they seem ok, I bet they are and I don't think the swelling is uncommon and you probably just are nervous about your first time doing it solo. I don't do the actual cutting and I would be a worry wart if I were!

They are still acting fine but the swelling has not went away any.. I could get some pics but I don't know how to upload them.. I'm kinda starting to get a little worries about them

Thank you hook.. For some reason it actually looks a little smaller in the pic than it does in person.. He is one that has, close to or the worst swelling.. It is very firm and not movable. Thank you for any help

The older the cattle is when it is cut usually the more it swells and the thicker the hide is so it takes longer for the sack to shrink from swelling. It also depends on how much of the sack you cut off. I have always took about one third of the sack off. Some times if they are real large the easiest way is to split the sack from the back on each testicle and remove them this way. Your problem s most likely just from swelling. Just keep a watch on them.

I'm not sure on the warm to the touch. I didn't even think to check that when I had him in the chute.. I guess I will watch them for a few more days and see what happens. I will post back in a with an update. Thank you all

That is a bit large. You probably need to feel it to figure out if there is infection in there or just a bunch of scar tissue.

Would the heat of summer have anything to do with additional swelling? Seems like our bulls we cut a couple of weeks ago swelled pretty good too. All are still on their feet though and doing well.

i never thought about the heat being a problem.. but i could see that not helping.. it has actually been pretty mild here the last couple weeks with most days only getting in the mid to upper 80's. Man I'm loving it lol. Maybe some of the problem is i did not cut any of the sac off.. i only made about a 2 inch slit in-between the nuts and pulled them out of it. that is how i have always watched my vet do it. What is your preferred method? thank you ADD: i forgot to mention a couple of them stink just a tad. nothing overwhelming but just an slight rotten smell

They're fine. I've cut literally hundreds, maybe even a couple thousand and they all swell some. I have yet to lose one that didn't have something wrong with it besides having been cut. Just give them time and leave them alone.
In the future, cut that sack a little higher and trim any fat that comes out, that way they'll drain a little better.

Latest posts