Cutters and Reiners...

Help Support CattleToday:

smart_slider

Reaction score
hi... i just registered... i want to know if anyone is interested in speaking with me about cutters and reiners... thanx!
ss

Welcome... What are you looking for? Are you trying to get into reining and/or cutting? Or, Are you doing reining and cutting?

If you're just getting started or looking to get started the best advice I can give you is to hunt for the Gold buckles. Showing perfomance horses is not cheap so you might as well get your infomation and training from the best in the business. There are wannabes on every corner. don't fall for their hooplaa.

Go to the NCHA and NRHA websites and find out who is in the top ten. Same thing for the breed assns. Don't fall for the horse whisperer types. I've never seen one of them wearing a gold buckle.Z

we currently own several well bred horses... a Reminic son with NRHA money earned, several older brood mares with bloodlines like: Be Aech Enterprise, Hollywood Gold, Doc's Lynx, Doc's Hickory, stuff like that... we've got an own son of San Jo Lena at the cutting horse trainer too... i get kinda chatty so sorry if i write a lot... anyway, i got to cut the last several years, but we are trying to get into the reining buisness as well as breeding. thanx!
ss

A big welcome smart_slider. Do you do your own training?

good looking horses, ol roper myself but love too watch a good cutting horse get down and look the calf in the eye. waiting to see if he's ready too quit or wanting more. man it dont get better than that ;-)

thanx u guys, but flaboy+, no i don't. i am currently riding a 3 year old filly who is a green cutter... i hope to be able to cut,rope,rein,ect. on her. thanx again
ss

smart_slider":1v38uqyn said:
thanx u guys, but flaboy+, no i don't. i am currently riding a 3 year old filly who is a green cutter... i hope to be able to cut,rope,rein,ect. on her. thanx again
ss

Cutter is what I am hoping to eventually train mine for. Not competition, just a working cutter.

Training one horse to do both reining and cutting for competition can be tough since there are few contradictory forms. For instance, in reining the slide is done with the back feet together, with slider type shoes on the back feet and distance is good. But in cutting, the back feet should be apart for a quick stop and a different kind of shoe is used. Certainly a horse can be used for both, but in competition the judges eye will likely catch a wrong or incomplete/mixed form. There are also other events like the Working Ranch Horse which combine aspects of reining and cutting but value function a little more than form.

i understand what u mean, dcara. i don't mean i will do all the events at the same time, just what i hope to do with her in her lifetime(if u understand that, i applaud you!)considering the shoeing, i am 'very close to the farrier'(in the good sense)....... i truly want her to become a reiner, though. she is cute, and will bury her tail in the dirt when she stops. but i have to see what else she's got; after all she is only a 3 year old. thanx for the comments!
ss

You can rope calves and cut cattle on the same horse.When I worked for Jim Lee we roped on some that wouldn't hook on and it helped.Holey Sox a son of Leo he showed,Jim told me he was better if the week before you went you tied a few calves down on him he was more aggressive fired harder.I worked for Bill Freeman as well right along in that same time they both lived at Wichita Falls Tx.And I rode some we took to the pasture and roped Dr. wheat pasture cattle on.It helps them to break the training up.We gathered a lot of cattle on them as well.And worked horses in the wheat field.On Peppy San Badger(Little Peppy)Buster drug calves to the branding fire on him he was a tuff horse and needed a lot of riding.If I was going to get into the reining end I'd sure try to get a Shining Spark or breed to one of his sons.Bobby Lewis has a really nice horse,Hollywood Heat.By Hollywood Dun It out of a daughter of Doc O Lena.He has points in five events and Bobby roped calves,team roped both ends,reined and working cow horse all at the same time at the same horse shows.Might give Bobby a call he has a few.And they rope and rein on the Shining Sparks as well.Cutters now tend to be a little more specialized than before and most of them don't have eneough bone and size to do the other.

we've been looking for a shining spark mare, but she hasnt come along yet... the reining stallion we own is a son of reminic, and out of a Peppy San Badger mare...
ss

That stud oughta work.He sure should have the action and have some bone and muscle on him.How bad do you want a Shining Spark mare.

well... we are looking for a palomino mare with something good on the bottom side... she HAS to be palomino.....not my ruling... the stud is cowy, so they may try reined cow horse with him... i have a jameenalena mare (jameenalena- smart little lenaXsan jameen)that is 3.. thanx
ss

to see a pic of the stallion(qh), go to the photo gallery! he is the sorrel stud with a DA on his hip... thanx
ss

Not to seem disrespectful.But you never answered my question.How bad do you want a Shining Spark mare???

sorry... i don't know...i guess it depends on when a 'good' one comes along....but as i said before, she has to a palomino, and has to be "breedable" too. the mare HAS to have some performance bloodlines on the bottom.... it isn't up to me. it is up to my parents.... i just ride the horses! :cboy:
ss

I am open for tips on good reining drills to start a colt on. I think a lot of this will carry over into helping him with his cow work. Got any good drills or point me to good articles?

Latest posts