Cuts of beef - butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

Reaction score
I've been to several sites looking at cuts of beef but I still have questions...

How would you have your beef processed (into what cuts) if it was a calf? Say, less than 700 lbs on the hoof, would you have it all in steaks, since it should be very tender? What, if any, would you have ground in hamburger?

What cuts would you want if it was an old cow? Would that be more feasible to have it ground into hamburger or would the better cuts (porterhouse or (ny strip/filet mignon) still be tender?

Charlie (600 lb calf) is going to the butcher soon.... and I prefer steaks to a roast but I am willing to put some of it in hamburger if its gonna be tough.

Your ideas please and thanks.

"Tough" is always a relative term. Some people just can't cook and will ruin practically any cut of beef, where as everybody's grandma could make bologna taste like prime rib.
Personally, all that I tell my processor is that I want all the premium steaks possible, the best boneless roasts, some cube steaks and grind the rest. Some people want to try to cut everything into steaks leaving minimal burger - probably not a good idea. Talk to your processor.
Just curious - what's your processing fee ? Ours is $20 to kill/skin and I think about $0.30 / lb to cut and vacuum pack.

Your definitely butchering early. :)

Once had a steer go down with a broken leg (ice), about the same weight, sent it off for processing. I will never do it again...big waste of money. 1st, didn't like the hamburger, too much tendency toward vealish quality's, meat wasn't real red, more pink and was too "mushy" for lack of a better term. 600# would bring some nice $$ ... more than I could forsee you getting out of him for butchering. Either sell him, or finish him out.... why do you want to butcher now? Unless that is the preference for your meat....than forget what I'm saying.

If it's only 700 lbs don't go boneless on your steaks unless it's a cut that has no other option. Boneless will give you bite size fillets and tiny Strips. Go "bone in" and take the porterhouse and T-Bone instead of strips and fillets. Go ahead and steak out the London Broil. Roasts are your own personal preference. I only take the highest quality cuts on roast (like rounds and Sirloin tips) and grind all the rest. Hamburger can make 1000 different recipes.

the reason he's going to buther early is because he is blind and has no tail. He would be discounted severely at the sale barn.

Because he has no tail I have to keep fly spray on him when it is warm weather and I'm not sure how that would fare for buthering (if the fly spray would affect the meat, I don't know perhaps it wouldn't make any difference, the can LD-44Z doesn't say).

Thank you for the suggestions so far, anyone else? Maybe I should have posted this elsewhere, but I do appreciate the help.

Latest posts