Cut the hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
They finished cutting the hay this morning. They cut everything on the south side yesterday and started on the north side of the river. He finished it up this morning. That 16 footer header and a big Massey swather really goes through the hay. My eye ball says we will get more hay this year than we did last year.

Attachments

• P6252589.JPG
    P6252589.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 29
Looks good👍! We've been in the hay cutting and baling mode for a couple weeks and we are getting less this year than last and it's under irrigation. But it's so dry this year I think it's affecting the hay crops more than usual.

Looks good👍! We've been in the hay cutting and baling mode for a couple weeks and we are getting less this year than last and it's under irrigation. But it's so dry this year I think it's affecting the hay crops more than usual.
B said that the alfalfa was less than last year. I don't remember how much less. That is under a pivot. This grass hay is flood irrigated. I poured the water to it. I am the first one on the ditch and the water isn't metered. So since about April 20 or so I kept it pretty wet.

Do you need more hay than last year Dave?

Ken
Always. I see hay being advertised for $200 a ton. Don't want to have to buy it at that price. I know one thing for certain. I started buying old cows on November 11 last year. It will be much later this coming winter unless they are giving them away.

That was smart to pour the water to it early. I have a couple small fields I still flood and I'm hoping I can go another couple weeks before I lose it. After that it's all irrigation.

I see $180 and $200 around here as well. I usually sell a little hay, but this year I'm keeping everything I grow. I think a lot of guys are doing the same thing. Hays just to high to have to buy any later if you run short.

Latest posts