Cut the fur, cut the meat!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am concerned by the amount of slaughtering going on today, animals are killed for fur, that is wrong, animals are killed for meat, that is also wrong, am I alone or does anyone stick by me on my opinion?

I thought we had a legitimate poster with the "letting a cow go" question. Now I think we have a troll.

Poll Hereford":1ymmku3w said:
I am concerned by the amount of slaughtering going on today, animals are killed for fur, that is wrong, animals are killed for meat, that is also wrong, am I alone or does anyone stick by me on my opinion?

No, I have no problem slaughtering an animal for meat. I love beef. That is why they were put on earth. As far as the hide, yes, you should use it too. No since in wasting parts.

I'm going to take your post as an honest inquiry, instead of the Animal Rights drivel that it appears to be.

You asked in another post if it was thought that you would make a go of being a farmer. With this type of attitude, I dont see how -- unless all you want is a few pets that don't even pay for their own feed.

The harvesting and culling of livestock is a major part of farming! Those farmers who refuse to cull their herds eventually end up reducing the quality of their herd and they create a load of problems for themselves by not culling out the undesirables. And without the slaughter of cattle for meat, where would you sell your calves? Only a fool would think that every calf born had a "higher purpose" than gracing someone's dinner table.

There is nothing at all wrong with forming attachments to particular animals, or even "retiring" particular animals -- it's real hard to let go of that 18 year old cow that's given you 17 calves and is the "boss" cow. On the other hand, you'll go out of business if you try to keep an aged herd as the animals will become infirm and reproduction will come to a halt.

The Animal Rights movement is trying to turn the whole population against animal use and into vegetarians -- they really must hate themselves, and the human race in general, to want our extinction that badly! It's a proven fact, albeit overlooked, that human reproduction, as well as muscle growth and repair, cannot take place in the absence of ANIMAL protein!
We're told that we can acquire all of our necessary nutrients from plant sources, what they don't tell you is that these nutrients are NOT in a form that humans can absorb. We need an intermediary species to convert those plant nutrients into a form that we can use -- cattle are most efficiient at that conversion. The beef animal is very efficient at converting plant materials into meat. The milk cow is one of the most efficient food-producing animals on earth, producing a food (milk and milk products) that is ideal for human consumption out of nothing but grass or hay and a little grain.
(I am an advocate of RAW milk, but even pasturized milk is better than no milk)

As for fur, there is nothing at all wrong with the harvest of renewable resources -- fur is MUCH warmer and MUCH MORE environmentally friendly than synthetic fabrics. Fur/hides from food producing animals are a by-product that it would be irresponsible not to use. Wild harvest of furbearers does a valuable service by preventing the overpopulation of these species. Farm-raising and harvesting of furs IS accomplished in a humane manner.

All of these animals that are kept/raised for human use are not mistreated. People who mistreat their animals don't stay in business long. Animals that are mistreated don't perform.
If a beef cow isn't cared for properly, she won't produce calves or will raise poor, sickly calves. If a milk cow isn't happy and contented, she won't let her milk down (or won't produce any at all). If furbearers aren't housed and cared for properly, their fur is worthless.

I believe that this "anti-animal use" thinking comes from too large of a segment of our population living in the city and having no contact whatsoever with food production. Too many little kids growing up thinking that food "grows" in the grocery store.

Ann B

The only way you could keep the old/non-producing cattle around is if you were rich; didn't have to worry about money & needed a good tax-write-off. OK, and/or you were some sort of 'animal sanctuary'.
But most everything (sadly) in this world boils down to one thing.... MONEY. That (and personal preference) is the reason you buy what car/truck you buy....live where you live & do what you do for a job, eat what you eat; etc. I absoultely *could not* justify having 'pasture ornaments' around that didn't help earn their keep one way or the other!! (The dog lets me know when folks' are here & keeps the unwanted critters away; the chickens give me eggs & meat if I need it; the cows could give me milk and/or meat; the cats get rid of the rats & mice; etc!!) I am a studying Herbalist (not the fruitcake goodie-goodie, don't harm animals kind :eek: )...BUT I like (er, gotta have!) my meat, too! (That's why Chillin' & Grillin' are out there in the pasture growing right now... :D ) They are NOT pets
Ann has a very direct & *honest* answer....re-read her post & think about it. She knows what she is talking about.
;-)

Ann, As al ways you post with as much common sense as anyone I know. Thanks. :lol: :lol:

la4angus":2yr45brx said:
Ann, As al ways you post with as much common sense as anyone I know. Thanks. :lol: :lol:

Common sense and well articulated!

dun

if god didnt want animals to be eaten he wouldnt have made them of meat.....

anyways, i live off meat. nothing wrong with killing an animal for food. as far as fur, i dont have a problem as long as the animal isnt just killed for fur. i mean, why cant you weat the animal too?

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2xcdmcz4 said:
if god didnt want animals to be eaten he wouldnt have made them of meat.....

anyways, i live off meat. nothing wrong with killing an animal for food. as far as fur, i dont have a problem as long as the animal isnt just killed for fur. i mean, why cant you weat the animal too?

Even the meat of furbearers that are raised primarily for their fur gets used. Most of it goes into pet food.

Ann B

sorry poll hereford but if youre wanting sympathy for animals being raised for meat and clothing go to your lying, cheating corrupt animal rights group. i read that a survey was taking and only bout 25% of the people at the most believe those sorry b*st*rds still way too many
poll one more thing go out have you steak and all your worries will be over ill even pay for the steak now shut your ridiculous comments up cause nobody around here wants to hear it
have a nice day :D

Latest posts