Cut-over spraying question

Help Support CattleToday:

I assume in your area, that most of the stumps are pine. I get the burning to help get rid of them, but how long does it take for them to totally decay back into the soil? I am just curious.
Burning does not get rid of stumps or kill stumps. The herbicide kills the stumps so they can rot. It depends on species and size how long they take to rot. Most hardwoods and pine will be rotten enough to run over with a rotary mower or push apart with a FEL in two, three, four years. The larger they are, the longer it will take. Older pine that has a streak of fat wood in it could take a long long time. Oak rots fairly quickly. Black Cherry rots very slowly.

Good point. Around $73 an acre a couple years ago
Top of the morning guys. Got some 2 year cut-over that my cattle have been grazing, but it's gonna need a spraying. I can hardly navigate any of it by tractor right now, but I can creep around through some of it. Would that be my best option to tame some of it? Planning to mix grazon and remedy with a broadcast/boomless rig. Also, what would be wrong with wand /spot spraying those areas I can't get into? Any tips on staying cut-over?
Thanks for the help guys.
Remedy + Grazon is a great mix. Remedy is effective on woody, vine weeds and saplings. Grazon has residual effect on broad leafs. Still, stumps are another form of something to deal with. Use your tractor, go slow, and focus on the broad leaf's with that mix. Your cattle will take care of the grass once the weeds are gone.

we have had good results using 24d ester or mcpa amine 700 with about a gallon diesel fuel /100 gal of spray. really gets the brush with one pass. the fuel really helps get the chem into leaves, probably help with just about any chemical, some stress to the grass that is there but it recovers. have also used left over adjuvant from other spraying applications. good idea to stay away from wet or sandy/gravel areas with any kind of chemical really. we found that grazons residual wears of faster than it should for the cost. helicopter is the way to go if the upside on the pasture is worth it or if your doing fence lines in tough areas.

Remedy + Grazon is a great mix. Remedy is effective on woody, vine weeds and saplings. Grazon has residual effect on broad leafs. Still, stumps are another form of something to deal with. Use your tractor, go slow, and focus on the broad leaf's with that mix. Your cattle will take care of the grass once the weeds are gone.
I think this will be my best option.. I may just try to work my way into the cut-over areas. I can get all the way around every cutover area in my pasture and have some lanes through most of them. I think I'll just take it little by little for a few years and see how I can work it. Some of the areas, I though about going as far as I could with the tractor, then getting off and spot spraying as far out as I can reach.

You need to have a helicopter do a reforestation site prep spray over it, wait 60 days after spraying and burn it off. Best time to spray it is late August or September. Likely the spray will be chopper gen2, Garlon4 or Garlon XRT, and mso crop oil. It will kill it all. I have this done every year and sometimes I do the spraying myself from the ground but I prefer the helicopter. Then next spring sprig bermuda or whatever you want growing out there. Most of the stumps depending on size will be rotten in 3 or 4 years or less. Helicopter last year was $70-$80/acre.
If cattle were worth more, I'd jump at it! But I just can't see spending this much per acre right now to creat more pasture.. They are already grazing through it some, just trying to keep it under control until I can clean it up enough to get my tractor through it. But I do agree, chopper would be the most efficient means for sure.

Burn graze burn…. Took these pics today
View attachment 5580View attachment 5582
I've let it grow a couple years to build up enough fuel to get a good burn. I feel like this fall I'll get a good burn. I mostly want to use some grazon to kill the seedbank on some of the stuff growing and then reseed some parts of it.

I do like the idea of regular burning though.

Latest posts