Cut-over spraying question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Top of the morning guys. Got some 2 year cut-over that my cattle have been grazing, but it's gonna need a spraying. I can hardly navigate any of it by tractor right now, but I can creep around through some of it. Would that be my best option to tame some of it? Planning to mix grazon and remedy with a broadcast/boomless rig. Also, what would be wrong with wand /spot spraying those areas I can't get into? Any tips on staying cut-over?
Thanks for the help guys.

I am not sure what you mean by cut-over but there is nothing wrong with spot spray as needed. When I bought my current place it had some thick areas of brush especially along the fence lines. I would mix up 100 gallons or so in my trailer sprayer, put the wife driving at about 2 MPH while I rode on the tank like a horse spraying as we went. It took two or three applications to get it under control and still take some yearly cleanup because the neighbor doesn't do anything.

I had to spray some ditch banks and such. Put a directional boomless on and extension piece of angle iron and C clamped it to the end of the bucket on the loader. If you can creep around you can cover a good ways out beside your tractor. Letting the bucket up or down as needed.

Top of the morning guys. Got some 2 year cut-over that my cattle have been grazing, but it's gonna need a spraying. I can hardly navigate any of it by tractor right now, but I can creep around through some of it. Would that be my best option to tame some of it? Planning to mix grazon and remedy with a broadcast/boomless rig. Also, what would be wrong with wand /spot spraying those areas I can't get into? Any tips on staying cut-over?
Thanks for the help guys.
Not sure what you can use in Mississippi but best idea is to get with your State Extension Agent and get a recommendation. Might actually save some money to use the correct thing.

I am not sure what you mean by cut-over but there is nothing wrong with spot spray as needed. When I bought my current place it had some thick areas of brush especially along the fence lines. I would mix up 100 gallons or so in my trailer sprayer, put the wife driving at about 2 MPH while I rode on the tank like a horse spraying as we went. It took two or three applications to get it under control and still take some yearly cleanup because the neighbor doesn't do anything.
Awesome idea.. might be a good time to cancel the life insurance policy for a few years. And by cut-over, I mean clear cut timber land. Level enough to make good pasture, just won't be able to do much work to it for several years.

I had to spray some ditch banks and such. Put a directional boomless on and extension piece of angle iron and C clamped it to the end of the bucket on the loader. If you can creep around you can cover a good ways out beside your tractor. Letting the bucket up or down as needed.
My old man would say that's using your head for more than a hat rack. Thinking this might be my best option to "reach" into these cut-over tracts. Just work my way in, little by little.

Not sure what you can use in Mississippi but best idea is to get with your State Extension Agent and get a recommendation. Might actually save some money to use the correct thing.
He's the one that recommended the grazon and remedy mix. Very good asset to have.

I'm not disagreeing with him but wondering what one will kill that the other won't? We use Garlon 4 which is a stronger version of Remedy in forestry applications.

I'm not disagreeing with him but wondering what one will kill that the other won't? We use Garlon 4 which is a stronger version of Remedy in forestry applications.
Maybe because the amount of woody species in these tracts? Would that make sense?

Not sure. Garlon 4 kills pretty much every woody species. But so does the grazon doesn't it. It does have a residential that Garlon doesn't have. Remedy is Garlon 3 if I remember correctly. Weaker version.
Although not listed for use in your case a mist blower will work over a larger area.

You need to have a helicopter do a reforestation site prep spray over it, wait 60 days after spraying and burn it off. Best time to spray it is late August or September. Likely the spray will be chopper gen2, Garlon4 or Garlon XRT, and mso crop oil. It will kill it all. I have this done every year and sometimes I do the spraying myself from the ground but I prefer the helicopter. Then next spring sprig bermuda or whatever you want growing out there. Most of the stumps depending on size will be rotten in 3 or 4 years or less. Helicopter last year was $70-$80/acre.

You need to have a helicopter do a reforestation site prep spray over it, wait 60 days after spraying and burn it off. Best time to spray it is late August or September. Likely the spray will be chopper gen2, Garlon4 or Garlon XRT, and mso crop oil. It will kill it all. I have this done every year and sometimes I do the spraying myself from the ground but I prefer the helicopter. Then next spring sprig bermuda or whatever you want growing out there. Most of the stumps depending on size will be rotten in 3 or 4 years or less. Helicopter last year was $70-$80/acre.
How do you sprig bermuda with the stumps?

Brute, you would have to dodge around them the same way they're dodged around with a tree planter. If you do it before it gets overly greened up the stumps will be easy to spot if you got a good burn on it.

Brute, you would have to dodge around them the same way they're dodged around with a tree planter. If you do it before it gets overly greened up the stumps will be easy to spot if you got a good burn on it.
I assume in your area, that most of the stumps are pine. I get the burning to help get rid of them, but how long does it take for them to totally decay back into the soil? I am just curious.

Latest posts