Cut now or wait

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
We have a field that is 95% fescue that has not been able to dry out up until now and therefore has not been cut and baled all season. Would we be better off to cut now and hopefully again at the end of the season or wait until the end of the season and do it then? Thanks

IMO - Cut now and then later if you get a chance at the end of the season. What you cut now won't be worth anything as far as feed value. You'll likely have to supplement it if you use it for feed and seed heads will be full of endophyte.

Still probably 8-10 weeks of growth left this year. Should be able to get another quality cut in the boot stage by then.

Last edited:
Cut it. Beats a snowball.

If I remember right, you're around Effingham or Vandalia. If you've been getting rain like we have (apparently so) you'll get another cutting easy enough.

I would wait until the middle of August when the food value comes back.

I talk with this guy often as he gets his hay tested several times a year. From tests he says late cutting hay the first cutting, especially July, it is better to wait until August based from tests, the protein food value, comes back. His website has the tests to prove it and interesting to view.

Website.....

BFE - From the greenhouse we can see I-70 at St. Elmo and yes we have been getting excessive rains which is why it hasn't been cut. We usually are able to take our last cutting in late September thru mid-October

I would wait until the middle of August when the food value comes back.

I talk with this guy often as he gets his hay tested several times a year. From tests he says late cutting hay the first cutting, especially July, it is better to wait until August based from tests, the protein food value, comes back. His website has the tests to prove it and interesting to view.

Website.....
I see what you are saying from the results from last year, but are those numbers from a first cutting?
How much does he charge per roll or ton?

We have a field that is 95% fescue that has not been able to dry out up until now and therefore has not been cut and baled all season. Would we be better off to cut now and hopefully again at the end of the season or wait until the end of the season and do it then? Thanks
Now. Get the crap off the field.

I see what you are saying from the results from last year, but are those numbers from a first cutting?
How much does he charge per roll or ton?
The guy lives at Treadway, about a half mile down Hwy 131 heading west from the new Dollar Store as his wife is good friends with mine. The guy is meticulous with his hay. He delivers a lot to horse farms who wants square bales and doesn't care what they pay, LOL.. As far as price goes I have never ask, but I bet he is expensive. His round bales maybe reasonable.

Last edited:
I'd wait, yield between now and the end of season probably won't justify the extra fuel and time. Now , if you have the option to pasture it later, that might affect the decision.

Cut now. Things overall will go downhill if you wait. You will have less nutrients as well if you wait. Also, seize the opportunity while you can. Hope everything works out.

l

cut it now with a bush hog, let it grow back and bale it this fall. Protein and energy content will be better than if you had baked it this spring. Right now it is glorified straw

Latest posts