cut hay or wait

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Decisions decisions, I'm pulling my hair out trying to determine if I chance it or not. Afternoon Showers are a 50% this time of the yr . so the weather liars try to hedge thier bets. The rain frog says rain but he is known to be a liar also.

I will mow with 30% or less. That's my cutoff. But where you are, rain is almost a guarantee in afternoon. Rain on the day it's cut, not such a problem. Rain after you have it dry, big problem.

You have a high sitting on you now with the low siting on the edge of east Texas. 50% chance of rain in a high is more like 20-30% when you are sitting in a low. I'd watch the high pressure and see how long that is supposed to sit on you and basis my decision on that. If the low moves your way before its up you will probably be screwed. No guarantee but you are shoring your bet.

Nice looking hay m5, after you cut how long does it take to be dry enough to bale? (On average)

I personally have had better results cutting with chances above 50% than below 50%. I'm hedging that the weatherman is wrong as usual. And I'm not joking. If I cut with a 20% chance it will rain almost every time.

M-5":3elsw140 said:

Thunder and lightning everywhere. Basically split around me. Light sprinkle but less than what will be on it from dew in the morning. Now if tomorrow will stay clear it will be done.

Be thankful you didn't cut where I'm sitting right now. Its plum scary at the moment. That big cell that went to your east is on me right now and there may even be a tornado in the mix.

M-5":3965wfnu said:
Joe, I don't know what your seeing at the moment but it is hay weather today. Humidity at 60%, a little breeze, sun shining . If it will just stay this way till around 2 or 3 pm.

Its hay weather here too. Some scattered clouds. I would have been in bind had I cut when you did though because I got about 2 inches and I think the hay would have steamed before it ever dried. If I'm going to stick my neck out cutting hay I find cutting during a high pressure period is much more successful. Its those 30-40% in a low that gets me every time.

I wish you luck getting it up and if I were a betting man I'd bet you will get it up without incident.

I was thinking about you today when I left work. Sunshine for the first time in weeks, I remembered your post on cutting and was hoping you had sunshine as well. I will keep my fingers crossed that your able to get it rolled up.

Gizmom

thank you MS. G I was able to get it done and all under the barn last night.

For those of us in the panhandle S AL and S GA . it seems all the weather liars are in collusion and say that we have 50% on Thursday , 20% Friday 20% Saturday 10% Sunday and 10% Monday. I sure hope they are right this time.

Latest posts