Cut Bermuda for hay after frost

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
What is the result if you cut Bermuda for hay shortly after a heavy killing frost?

Thanks

You've had a heavy killing frost?
No ding dong, but I will.

I am the odd duck that tries to get 4 cuttings. It is impossible to know when that frost comes, sometime in mid October. I always tried to cut as close before frost as possible.

What if I cut after?

I am the odd duck that tries to get 4 cuttings. It is impossible to know when that frost comes, sometime in mid October. I always tried to cut as close before frost as possible.

What if I cut after?
You put more effort into planning your hay cutting than the Biden administration does into pulling out of a war zone.

What if I cut after?
Cutting pretty much any grass after frost you either want to cut immediately before the grass wilts or let it die and get dry. Just like dropped hay. You'll lose some quality but it's done all the time.
Cut Johnson grass last year after frost.

Cutting pretty much any grass after frost you either want to cut immediately before the grass wilts or let it die and get dry. Just like dropped hay. You'll lose some quality but it's done all the time.
Cut Johnson grass last year after frost.
Wow. That makes planning that last cut easy. Frost. Dry. Cut

Did the Johnson grass feed ok?
I've heard there can be a problem with Prussic acid. Especially if it hasn't cured correctly..

As far as Bermuda idk!
Yes made decent hay.
Purrsic acid is more predictable than frost. It is no concern in dry hay.
As far as Bermuda. The largest documented case off cattle killed by purrsic acid I'm aware of came from a pure field of Tifton 85 Bermuda...it can happen in any grass.

Yes made decent hay.
Purrsic acid is more predictable than frost. It is no concern in dry hay.
As far as Bermuda. The largest documented case off cattle killed by purrsic acid I'm aware of came from a pure field of Tifton 85 Bermuda...it can happen in any grass.
Man that would suck!

I think I'd try n get it laid down if I saw a frost coming. We have laid down a bunch b4 the frost hits and never had a problem.

Was that because they put so much nitrogen to it?
Purrsic acid isn't caused by nitrogen fertilizer. That's nitrate poisoning . Two different things...

Purrsic acid isn't caused by nitrogen fertilizer. That's nitrate poisoning . Two different things...
That link said they ate fresh Tifton

How much will you get off the last cutting?

I would strip graze it unless it made more then I could get grazed by Christmas here.

What is the result if you cut Bermuda for hay shortly after a heavy killing frost?

Thanks
I can't give an answer to that question, but I'll offer something to consider. Could cutting that late slow down the regrowth in the spring? I don't know the answer to that, but it's what popped in y head when I read your post.

Latest posts