Custom processor appointment

Help Support CattleToday:

Years ago every little market around here had a butcher shop, most of these had a big freezer room or hallway that had baskets or bins. You would put your lock on it and access your frozen meat during hours.
I have never seen anything like that here, in the South, pork was king and most folks processed their own.

Last edited:
The freezer/lockers is an interesting thought. I remember my parents talking about them. As far as
grass fed/grain fed, I prefer the 8-10 month old calf that has had nothing but fresh milk from the cow,
fresh grass and lots of fresh air and sunshine :)

That's what my grandparents did
They would take a calf right off the cow and have it processed.
But they never grilled any steaks.
Granny would either bake it in the oven or smother it in gravy and simmer until tender.
It was delicious.

That's what my grandparents did
They would take a calf right off the cow and have it processed.
But they never grilled any steaks.
Granny would either bake it in the oven or smother it in gravy and simmer until tender.
It was delicious.
I never hear anyone talk about it here, but how is veal brought about?

I raised custom veal for several years. They are not fed anything but milk... maybe some straw for some roughage. The whiter the meat the more desireable. Most are killed at 3-400 lbs... the "milk fat" looking calves. Most are dairy calves that are raised in stalls that they can only get up and down. I raise mine in box type stalls... never believed in the confinement. They got all the milk they would drink...usually got them up to a 5 gal bucket a feeding.
Iron in feed or hay is what causes the meat to get the pink/red color. That is a no-no in true milk fed veal. The calves need to be iron deficient to not get the pink coloring. Sad situation.... Mine were always a light pink because of eating some straw for roughage. Otherwise you had too many scour problems. But they are supposed to get fat on the milk they consume, and they do.
If you took a 3 month calf off a real good milking beef cow, the kind that are roly poly looking on the cow, that is the kind of veal you want. It is tender enough to cut with a fork and real pale color.
To me it has next to no flavor.... very very bland. Could be why it is so popular for baby food....no strong flavors.

To each his own. I had a market for them so raised them for awhile. Had to walk a very fine line with feeding them and then the prices dropped and I quit....

The calves my grandparents butchered were still sucking on the cow plus grass , range meal just what ever the cow ate they ate plus milk.
They butchered between 4-500 lbs the meat was red so not veal.
Was it good?

Did they do that because a smaller animal was easier to manage?

Was it good?

Did they do that because a smaller animal was easier to manage?
Yes it was real good
Like I said they never grilled steaks always baked or smothered and simmers until tender.
I think that just the 2 of them with company from the family on weekends a small calf would still last them a year or so.

Yes it was real good
Like I said they never grilled steaks always baked or smothered and simmers until tender.
I think that just the 2 of them with company from the family on weekends a small calf would still last them a year or so.
Yes it was real good
my granny was Czech and German heritage and was an exceptional cook. We never ask her what she was cooking because it didn't matter it was going to be good. I miss her and her cooking.

We had to customers ask about buying a beef delivered to meat processor. We called today. They are booked to January 2023. Not taking appointment at this time. Our Name put on standby list in case they get cancellation. Wow.
We are in same situation. Have steers ready to go soon, and next processor appointment available we may have a different President by then. Pretty frustrating.

I booked my slots for 2021 before all my calves were on the ground. My processor is currently booked 14 months out. I just called for places for fall 2022 (16-18 months out).

For the record though, pre-pandemic bookings needed to be made 6+ months in advance. All the local lockers have rental freezer/lockers available.

Educating consumers is a role for all of us and one that the beef industry has done an abyssmal job of recently.

I am currently on a will call list along with 20 or so other people in my area. This will call list leaves 2- 5 animal spaces open each cycle at our locker. Its first come first serve, and I have learned if my husband calls we have no chance of getting a date! LOL We typically set out 3 dates for the year and 2 animals per date-
I booked in another appt just a few days ago.
5 tips I have learned for the local lockers:
1.Learn everyones name- the butcher, the processors and the office gals
2.Call as soon as they open or right before they close- don't bother leaving a message
3.Back up your trailer to the chute with the skills of a ninja and have gates ready to pop.
Number 4 is something I cannot change- send your wives, girlfriends, daughters- that butcher shop owner is gonna like a confident farm chick! Chances are they have a little girl at home too. My husband hates this factoid...
5. Show up to pick up beef at max 2 days after they call- we all think they cannot get animals in because they are overbooking, but what about Johnny Townsperson City Slicker who takes up freezer space for 3 weeks or bounces a check. Freezer space is a big issue too.

Latest posts