Custom made boots

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
My go to boots for the past few years have been Double H and Thorogood. They work good for me and last a while but seem to take forever to break them in. I have thought about trying a pair of custom boots like Beck Boots, but I don't know if I can justify the cost. Anyone here have any experience having a pair made? Or are there any boot makers you would suggest.

I guess I was vain in my younger days. I have had a few pairs of custom boots. A gentleman in Montana (who I'm sure is deceased by now), made mine. I had a custom pair of elephants, and for some reason, a pair of packers as well. The elephants lasted, but I made them last. Seems like I had them resoled locally, and they never had that "custom" feel again. I wore the packers pretty hard, and they held up. I couldn't look ya in the eye, and say I got my money's worth.

I had a couple pairs of Wilson Boots. I know I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a pair today. The Wilson's held up amazingly well and were tough as nails.

My wife insisted I have a pair of 'dress boots' made at Mercer's in San Angelo about 20 years ago....discount since my wife worked there. Even then, they were still way expensive for my station in life.
Perfect fit and feel, but didn't hold up any longer than a good pair of off the shelf Lamas.

Every time I see a pair of Danner Combat Hiker Special Forces Style 43513X US Military boots pop up on Ebay size 13 1/2 wide I buy them. The military ordered thousands of these for some of the wars we have been in and they fit my feet perfect. They are made in USA and original cost was over $300 as I have 4 pair. I usually can get them around $50 slightly used or looks new. I have been wearing one pair for three years now and still holding up. Get you a pair of these and I believe you will like them and they will last....USA made.. These are not custom made, but I have learned USA made fits me better.

s-l1600.jpg

jltrent":6cs1pqlt said:
Every time I see a pair of Danner Combat Hiker Special Forces Style 43513X US Military boots pop up on Ebay size 13 1/2 wide I buy them. The military ordered thousands of these for some of the wars we have been in and they fit my feet perfect. They are made in USA and original cost was over $300 as I have 4 pair. I usually can get them around $50 slightly used or looks new. I have been wearing one pair for three years now and still holding up. Get you a pair of these and I believe you will like them and they will last....USA made.. These are not custom made, but I have learned USA made fits me better.

s-l1600.jpg

I wear Danner Super Rainforest. They aren't cheap but they do last. I am on my third pair since 1997 and I do wear them a lot. Some models of Danner boots are made at their factory in Portland Oregon, some in China. The American made are good boots. The ones made in China are..... well made in China.

I wear Danner Super Rainforest. They aren't cheap but they do last. I am on my third pair since 1997 and I do wear them a lot. Some models of Danner boots are made at their factory in Portland Oregon, some in China. The American made are good boots. The ones made in China are..... well made in China.

Mine says "Made in USA" and they are hard to wear out as the pair I am wearing now have been through three years of rough treatment. Probably the only drawback is they are a little heavy, but every lite shoe I ever had didn't last. They seem to be water tight almost to the top also.

85 pair listed now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... md=1&rt=nc

IPAYQ1z.jpg

hurleyjd":1stqebiu said:
https://www.tecovas.com/

This boot maker shows up all the time on my computer
I have a couple of pairs of Tecovas boots. There more or less dress boots and not very comfortable after walking a few miles.

A saddle maker friend gave me this......BG custom leather Lubbock Tx. Supposed to be one of the finest boot makers around.

jltrent":k72a6xc1 said:

s-l1600.jpg

i'll try a pair.. i wear timberlands now at about 100 a pair.. they last about 3-4 months.

greybeard":1lkv2n2w said:
My wife insisted I have a pair of 'dress boots' made at Mercer's in San Angelo about 20 years ago....discount since my wife worked there. Even then, they were still way expensive for my station in life.
Perfect fit and feel, but didn't hold up any longer than a good pair of off the shelf Lamas.

Lama 11D works perfect for me. Just lucky I guess.

My gray elephants have been resoled so many times I cannot count. They've been around since about '85. Morgan was going out of business and they had a red elephant Lama really cheap. That was around '95 or so. I bought them and had them dyed beige. They've been through several soles themselves but need to be dyed again. I've got a couple of pair of cow hide and one of them is extremely worn.

The bootmaker I was using in town to resole my boots is out of business now.

12 E (wide) here...pretty common. Fits like a 2nd skin if it's a quality boot which TLs almost always are, but I have never liked how Justins fit, but probably been 35 years since I tried a pair of Justin boots on...I probably should stop buying Lamas...they are owned by Berkshire Hathaway/Warren Buffet now, as is Justin, Chippewa, Double-H/Acme, and Nocona... (he also owns Dairy Queen :( )

Lacrosse and Danner are both still made in the US but are wholly owned by a Japanese company called ABC-Mart. ABC-Mart also owns Whites Boots which seems to be popular as a maker of work boots for the PacNW.

Now ya know where our hard earned $$ is going..

ddd75":1wmgnjin said:
jltrent":1wmgnjin said:

s-l1600.jpg

i'll try a pair.. i wear timberlands now at about 100 a pair.. they last about 3-4 months.
They are a little heavy, but they will last. I bet you like them. The last Timberlands I had lasted maybe 6 months.

Latest posts