Custom Grazing Corn Stalks ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A lot of the corn farmers are baling the stocks for the pellet makers. As I understand it , not only for the money but to cut down on
soil compaction. Would it be practical to haul the stock bales north (if available) and supplement with liquid protein (if needed)?
Admittedly this is not in my realm but it might give you more control of your inventory and any marketing decisions necessary in the
coming months. Good luck either way.

I agree with LVRs reply. I do know several farmers around me that leave cows out in the stalks for the winter but they also feed hay to maintain body condition. I would not rely on stalks alone to feed my cows over winter, but if they get all their needed nutrition and maintain BC then great. I also agree that I would rather ship stalk bales to my cows rather than ship cows to the stalks. hope all works out good for what ever you end up doing.

A lot of the corn farmers are baling the stocks for the pellet makers. As I understand it , not only for the money but to cut down on
soil compaction. Would it be practical to haul the stock bales north (if available) and supplement with liquid protein (if needed)?
Admittedly this is not in my realm but it might give you more control of your inventory and any marketing decisions necessary in the
coming months. Good luck either way.
I don't understand how keeping organic matter out of the soil EVER cuts down on soil compaction….

1982vett> The compaction comes from the cattle in the field.
Keeping organic matter out of the soil to cut down compaction is your own interpretation.

Latest posts