custom feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

skip7879

Reaction score
In a local farm paper a large feedlot was advertising custom feeding options for investors. How does this work? what is reasonable for them to charge? and has anybody ever made money doing this?
Any response would be appreciated

Extraordinary amounts of money get made and lost feeding cattle with regularity. Can you provide a few more details about your deal? What are your questions exactly? I'll try to help. I'm sure there are a few other guys around here who feed a fair amount of cattle too.

I guess my question is there any money to be made having someone custom feed cattle for you from start to finish? After you factor in what they charge u for yardage, their time, trucking the cattle, treatment costs and marketing.

The people I buy my bulls from send their steers and non-replacement heifers to a feedlot to be custom fed. They have been doing this for years. Some years it makes them money and some it doesn't. Spring of 2012 he told me that after expenses he made $47 a head. This year I have heard of people losing $60 a head.

Skip,
Are you feeding your own cattle or buying cattle to put on feed?

Latest posts