Custom bull feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
What is going rate?

I got 6 bulls at home that I didn't enter in a sale. Feeding $.07/# corn ($3.92/bushel) and $.06/# ddg at 12/#/hd/day along with boughten square bale hay 1.5 bales/day @ $1/bale. Crap mature pasture hay and it's really light. Along with 1.5 square corn stalk boughten bales @$1/bale.

Pay rent on shed where the 6 bulls are at $100 month. I charge the bulls the rent. The heifers I have there I'm not accounting for out on few acres of grass. But in the end it's costing me out of pocket $1.62/hd/day for the bulls feed/bedding/yard.

Now don't you think a group of 60+ bulls on a TMR diet would but alot cheaper than what I can do?

Got my bill today for $2.11/day and that includes feed, bedding and yardage. Vaccines, pour-on, CTC for a week of bad weather and oh mineral was charged at $40/hd for the 150 or so expected days on feed is an added expense!

I don't know I figure on average it cost a buck fifty to keep a cow standing in the pasture a day. After all expenses are figured. This year is going to come in around 1.35.
I would have to pull an old ledger book from when I was selling bulls and compare it to the cows.

You ask a question that most don't have a clue on a cows true cost.
It doesn't matter if you have 10 or a 1000 it is real easy to move into welfare cattle with out a real sharp pencil. If you do it for a cow no matter how trivial has to be charged to them.

Caustic Burno":39yuk6eh said:
You ask a question that most don't have a clue on a cows true cost.
It doesn't matter if you have 10 or a 1000 it is real easy to move into welfare cattle with out a real sharp pencil. If you do it for a cow no matter how trivial has to be charged to them.
I do this to make money. We have been recording weaning weights and just started getting cows weights. We also are need to save money on everything else too but you can't pencil what you don't measure!

My cows have to wean a calf within 10% of her peers as well as a produce a live calf every 12 months. If she doesn't I need a better cow. It actually cost more to hang on to the poor performer.
Pasture blindness is a very bad disease to have.

Caustic Burno":13ya5v9p said:
It actually cost more to hang on to the poor performer.
Pasture blindness is a very bad disease to have.
Agreed. Every herd has a bottom and its the job of the manager to be brutally hard on the bottom very year and work to bring the bottom up.

I'm just trying to delete this post since it was a double.

Latest posts