custom balers

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
we had to get another guy to bale the hay this year.the guy we used last year hurt his back.an he really wasnt able to bale our hay.so we found another guy that charges $19 a bale for either 4 by 6s or 5 by 6s.he said he would try to get here in 2wks to get the hay done.all the other balers are charging $25 a bale.so hoping we can get the years hay off cutting 60acs once.

bigbull338":3ith4u7z said:
we had to get another guy to bale the hay this year.the guy we used last year hurt his back.an he really wasnt able to bale our hay.so we found another guy that charges $19 a bale for either 4 by 6s or 5 by 6s.he said he would try to get here in 2wks to get the hay done.all the other balers are charging $25 a bale.so hoping we can get the years hay off cutting 60acs once.

That's about right for baling it........Who's gonna cut and rake?

he is gonna cut rake an bale it for that.most of the balers round here charge $19 to $25 to cut rake an bale.

Sounds like a really good deal price wise. Just hope the hay is not going to be 2 weeks past prime when he gets there.

it wont be TB.its still growing real good.an looks nice an green.but itll prolly dry fast when he cuts it.most balers are 2wks fore they could bale it.talked to a friend of mine that helps his father in law custom bale.an he said they could get to it in 2wks as well.but they charge $25 a bale.

bigbull338":3j33lcex said:
it wont be TB.its still growing real good.an looks nice an green.but itll prolly dry fast when he cuts it.most balers are 2wks fore they could bale it.talked to a friend of mine that helps his father in law custom bale.an he said they could get to it in 2wks as well.but they charge $25 a bale.

If you know him and have confidence in his work I'd sure grab the deal while I could. They're cutting hay out here one day and baling the next with all the heat we're having. Sure looks good too.

That is a good deal. I been charging 25 per bale for 5.5 X 5 bales, but yield been pretty low so, going to start charging them per acre cut and raking then a baling charge per bale.

JRM":3ptpt7aq said:
That is a good deal. I been charging 25 per bale for 5.5 X 5 bales, but yield been pretty low so, going to start charging them per acre cut and raking then a baling charge per bale.

You're a smart man. :tiphat:

[/quThat is a good deal. I been charging 25 per bale for 5.5 X 5 bales, but yield been pretty low so, going to start charging them per acre cut and raking then a baling charge per bale.
ote]

Thats how my guy charged.$20 bucks per acre to cut and rake,then $15 per bale to roll,ended up costing $21.91.per 5 by 5.5 roll. or roughly 23.82 per ton.i'm pleased with that.

Am i too cheap? I charge 5 a bale if its already raked and 12 a bale if i do it all. i got a 4x4 baler and it averages 5-10 bales a acre.

Around here, most are charging $25/bale with a 2 bale minimum. That would be a base of $50/acre. If you are charging $12/bale and low end patches are making 5 bales, that would be $60/acre. I know there is a big difference in time spent baling 4x5's as opposed to 5x5's because I am spending more time sitting still wrapping twine. I am thinking if noone is objecting and you are making the profit you expect, you are probably in line.

gertguy":212q3kcq said:
Am i too cheap? I charge 5 a bale if its already raked and 12 a bale if i do it all. i got a 4x4 baler and it averages 5-10 bales a acre.

You're probably too cheap. Run your cost numbers and see.

we'll i am doing better than break even but i wanted to see what other people charged
Thanks

Latest posts