Custom baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
Do to the real estate market in FL.( on the down side) I have watched an Attorney tie up quite a bit of property at $20 per ac. and he is cutting hay and also combining seed and seems to be making be making a fortune. My ? is what does it cost to hire a company to custom bale your property and is it based on Ac. or bales produced?

All teh custom cutters I have dealt with do it either on a percentage or by the bale.

We do custom cutting and baling either on shares (depending on what type of hay), or a certain $ amount/bale.

I won't do it by the bale. If a man has really thin hay, it takes the custom baler just as much fuel man/hours etc. as if it were thick.

Around $50 dollars per acre depending on how smooth the ground is.

If it were really good hay I might do it 60/40.

I had mine cut last year by a man that is in that business, he cuts and rolls over 2000 rolls per year on average and gets $14 for a 5x6 roll

Where we are we will do about 5000 bales - we charge by the foot.

Baling only.

Buck a foot and add a buck.

Four foot bale = $5.00
Five foot bale = $6.00
Six foot bale = $7.00

I love doing the small bales - less hay per bale and more money per field. Lots of folks want those small bales.

Fuel goes up again - so does the price.

Bez?

Last year I got quotes from $20-$22.50 per bale, that's for cut, rake and bale - wrapped. We bought our own hay equipment last year because of that. 500 bales would pay for the equipment -labor, fuel, maintenance, parts.

Here it's $20. acre to mow $10.00 acre to rake $ 10.00 bale for round net wrap 6x5

Last year I charged $15 to cut, rake, bale with 5x4s. This year I did it all on shares, need the hay more than I need the $.

cfpinz

There is an Attorney in Central Florida that is leasing up thousands of Ac. and is cutting Bahia hay and also selling Bahia seed. He told my Brother he is making a substantial profit with this program which I find hard to believe.

dcara":39u2uc8k said:
cfpinz - here property owner keeps 1/3 on shares. Is it about the same elsewhere?

1/3 is about right for average hay. If it is thin, 1/4 is more like it. I'll go 60/40 on really nice hay, but that's about it.

cfpinz

I get $15/bale to cut, rake, and bale. I'll move them to one end of the field as a courtesy/thank you. That's for 5 foot wide twine tied bales 5-6 foot diameter. I don't discriminate against a guy who's got small irregular fields or thinner hay, though compounding the two makes me think twice. I've got one customer right now who's kinda antsy because I haven't cut for him yet, but it's a couple 2 acre patches 4 miles apart (luckily I'm in the middle of them) and when it was SO dry here they just weren't worth messing with. Been lucky to get 3-4 bales off them altogether. Now with the rain they're getting up in size and when the ground dries out I'll go get it for him.

I cut on shares too and get 50% of the hay. I could really use the hay more than the money this year. Had one guy that ONLY wanted to do shares and that was OK, pretty good bahia and dallis, but usually had a little more hay than I wanted at the end of the season. He's retired so I've only been doing cash jobs last few years. My experience has been that you're better off to do it yourself if you can. When we could hire milo hauling for 25 cents a hundred and were getting $5/cwt. for milo, you did just as well or better hiring the hauling. Last couple years I row cropped, hauling was 50 cents/cwt and milo was $3.50/cwt if you could get it, it's haul it yourself or go broke. That 50 cents/cwt is your profit. I shudder to think what hiring the combining would do to you. Same thing applies to just about everything. Now, that said, no it doesn't make sense to own your hay machinery for a 2 acre hay patch or baling for 5 head of cows or something. But the college studies that say you shouldn't own hay equipment for less than 100 acres or 200 head of cattle is grossly overestimated IMHO. Most college figures are overestimated from what I've seen. I guess if you go finance or lease all brand new equipment for a hay operation, maybe those numbers are right, but if you do like most folks and go used, fixer uppers, and do your own work, it is usually cheaper and more timely. Just depends on what you're doing and trying to do and what kind of custom guys you have around I guess. Good luck! OL JR :)

Our local ag college always says"don't raise and bale your own hay...buy it " I would like to know from where. If it were not for hay that I salvaged off small MIG patches I wouldn't have any hay at all. A commerical producer is not going to move to your place for a couple acres now and a couple later. With diesel rapidly approaching $3.00 I wouldn't move my equipment either.

Yeah, A&M always says that too. I'm like you, from WHERE?? I run a cutter for a guy once in a while who's a big custom hay maker and he sells his to a broker. Most of the big "commercial" guys nowdays don't want to mess with baling for you unless you have a BIG field of HEAVY hay and if you have that you should have your own machinery anyway. Lot of those guys increasingly don't want to mess with selling to you either unless you're buying 50-100 bales or so. I ran into the same thing trying to find milo haulers a few years back. Back in '75 every guy in the country had a beat up old bobtail and was looking to haul grain. The big 18 wheeler guys got PO'd since they had to have DOT inspections, commercial insurance, the works, and so they raised a stink to the gov't to get the rules changed so you had to GROW grain in order to haul it, and could only do so much custom hauling before you were considered 'commercial'. Well, having to have DOT inspections and commercial insurance buried all those guys, unless they happened to have a 20 acre field of milo somewhere, but most of em were GONE. SO, the 18 wheeler guys eliminated the competition. But guess what?? Small farmer go to hire them, first thing they ask is "how many combines you got?" Well, one I say. "How many auger carts you got?" WEll, one I say again. "Weeeelllll, we don't really have the time to mess with a little operator like you... Couldn't you team up with a neighbor and run 2-3 combines and a couple carts?? We want the business but we want to have 100,000 pounds on the truck and get rolling from the field in about 20 minutes." No, not really I says. "Weeeeelllll, since it's nearly 11 am and we haven't got a job yet today, we'll come do it, but man you better cut like the wind!" After all this I bought a wagon for $500 and hauled it myself. Same thing with hay.

Most of the guys I bale for either 1)just don't have enough cows/acres/bales to justify owning a mower, rake, and baler, or 2) are just too old, in ill health, retired, too rich to want to do it, or too poor to afford to do it themselves. I work with guys based on their situation.

Back to the 'never bale your own just buy it' theory... I can disprove that on the face of it. They threaten to replace us schoolbus drivers with contractors or a contract company. They did the same thing at the nuclear plant where I worked. In fact I worked subcontract. Contract labor always costs more and here's why. Say you're talking about baling hay. It costs so much in diesel, labor expense (time), machinery, repairs, consumable supplies like twine, wrap, cutter knives, etc. Now if you own the machinery the costs are the same, fudging for labor since if you're doing it yourself your saving money. A big custom guy is spreading those expenses over more acres/ bales/ cows, etc, but usually has higher overhead because he's running new expensive machinery. Do it yourself with older stuff= more repairs and expense, but you can do a lot of repairs on a $1,000 baler for the cost of a $25,000 baler, so you come out pretty close on costs that way. The commercial guy has to pay added costs in moving his machinery around a lot, where your cost might be little or nothing if your hay meadow is on the farm or close by. But the clincher is that contract labor, no matter in what business, must make a profit to justify staying in business. That additional profit is figured into what they charge you, either for the custom work or for the finished product, the hay. A small custom guy baling his own and cutting a little on the side is content with a lower profit margin than say a full time commercial only hay operator. But either way, that profit for the custom guy (labor, whatever you want to call it) is added expense coming out of YOUR profit when it's all said and done.
I KNOW that I can make hay cheaper than I can buy it. That should be a no brainer when you think about it. All my equipment is paid for, and it's all older stuff so it cost less to begin with. I figure in maintenance and eventual replacement costs too, because nothing lasts forever, and older stuff needs more repair than newer stuff most of the time. When I custom bale, I know what those costs are when doing my own and add the cost of my labor and moving machinery. When you buy the hay outright the expenses are even worse because you're paying for the product as well; it costs a certain amount of money to grow that grass since seed and fertilizer isn't free and chemicals and irrigation SURE isn't free. Besides that the product has intrinsic value no matter what the production costs are; I get $25/bale on average for prairie hay with virtually no seed/fertilizer costs because it's good hay and that's what it's worth. I've had guys want me to sell it to them for nearly nothing and I'm always like, "well if it's not worth anything why do you want it and if it's not worth anything why would I want to sell it when I can keep it and feed it myself?" Good luck! OL JR :)

One other thing I didn't think of til now about bought hay vs. custom cut your meadow or baling your own... You don't really know what you're getting. You basically have to take the word of the guy your buying from.

I know a big custom guy near here was growing haygrazer. He let it get 8 feet tall and headed out before he went to cut it, then it rained and it got so old the leaves were dried out and the grain heads were drying down before he ever cut it. Then after cutting it it rained on it for a week or so and by the time he was raking it up the stubble was already over a foot tall with regrowth. He raked that crap up and baled it, but the bales looked like a cross between fall leaves and coffee grounds. I've burned better stuff than that but I'm sure he found a sucker to buy it and probably at a big price!

You don't really know what you've got in the bale if you didn't see the meadow before it was cut. Sure you can have an analysis done on it but realistically how much hay that's bought and sold is actually analyzed? As far as weeds and stuff, if you didn't see the meadow before it was baled you usually just have the sellers word to go on. Makes you think twice about who you do business with don't it? Another post mentioned a guy unrolling rounds to rebale as squares and spraying green dye on the hay and selling it as 'high quality horse hay'. Most folks are honest but there are enough crooks doing stuff like that to make you have to be careful! Good luck! OL JR :)

cowtrek":lxegjsnx said:
One other thing I didn't think of til now about bought hay vs. custom cut your meadow or baling your own... You don't really know what you're getting. You basically have to take the word of the guy your buying from.

That depends entirely on WHO you are buying from. We routinely send/deliver a couple of sample bales to new customers who have any concerns about the quality of our hay - it generally only happens with the horse people. If they like it, the sample bales are purchased along with however many bales they decide to take. If they don't like it, we eat the cost.