Curved back

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

what causes a horse to have a curved back? should it be straight? is this a possible problem? thank you in advance for all replys. MR

> what causes a horse to have a
> curved back? should it be
> straight? is this a possible
> problem? thank you in advance for
> all replys. MR

I wonder if you are refering to a sway back horse you give little information to go on. Such as age of horse breed etc. Sometimes older horses that have been used hard break down.This is called sway back, and the cause, is generally ,the ligaments allong the spine, streach and this causes sway back. Sometimes its poor conformation. Arabians as they become older will get a little down in the back.This is acceptable for this breed.

Happy trails!!!

[email protected]

he is a 6 year old tenn. walker and his back curves down , he is a really nice horse. is this a problem > I wonder if you are refering to a
> sway back horse you give little
> information to go on. Such as age
> of horse breed etc. Sometimes
> older horses that have been used
> hard break down.This is called
> sway back, and the cause, is
> generally ,the ligaments allong
> the spine, streach and this causes
> sway back. Sometimes its poor
> conformation. Arabians as they
> become older will get a little
> down in the back.This is
> acceptable for this breed.

> Happy trails!!!

> he is a 6 year old tenn. walker
> and his back curves down , he is a
> really nice horse. is this a
> problem > I wonder if you are
> refering to a

MR Yes that could be a serious problem as that is not normal for that breed of horse.Here is a method I use to determine if there is something,I can do.Put a halter on, and where the girth fits arround the under belly slide a finger down the midline. At 1/2-3/4 to the navle area push up. You should see if he acts like it hurts or grunts it may be caused from a slipped vertabre. If he shows weakness in his hind quarters call a vet.The vet will conduct there own tests.2 If his back is lowerthan his withers and the wide part of the rump chances are its poor conformation.In that case you could ride him but know and except the fact his time is limited.He may in time go lame.I have seen many good horses with sway backs and there fun to ride bareback you can't hardly fall off!! Keep in touch! Good Luck..

[email protected]

Latest posts