curtiss breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Would anyone remember Elmer Hansen and his connection to Curtiss? A highly respected national dairy judge but because of our association with Curtiss came to judge a 30-40 head county fair. Would also like to hear any knowledge of Ted Kruger and Miles McCary

One of my first inseminator cards with Curtiss was signed by Melvin L. Kenley and Galen Sensor.

Would anyone remember Elmer Hansen and his connection to Curtiss? A highly respected national dairy judge but because of our association with Curtiss came to judge a 30-40 head county fair. Would also like to hear any knowledge of Ted Kruger and Miles McCary

Galen also was my instructor. Early 70's a cattleman brought 750 Hereford heifers from out west having to drive them 11 miles on horseback to a loading facility. We AI them all using Simmental on 150. That cross was costly as calving death rate was extremely high using Simmental on 1st calf heifers

To Schnerring granddaughter. Are there any O S College records available? I might be youngest graduate and would like to verify. Still have diploma from April 1965 at the age of 16. Greatest of memories of Curtiss

My grandfather was named Elmer Hansen. He died when I was 14 I think, and I don't remember him ever saying anything about cows or dairy. He was a hard core fisherman, and lived in Portland, OR the last part of his life. I'm embarrassed to say I don't really know anything more about him, but my mother was weird, and never spent much time with family, and especially not with in-laws. Elmer was my dad's father. Anyway, it's probably not the same Elmer Hansen. Just a weird name coincidence, maybe. Unless grampa had another life before I knew him.

I am the granddaughter of the founders of Curtiss Breeding Company. I have lots of information about this incredible AI company. Even James Mitchner wrote about my grandparents' company in one of his books, which I believe was Centennial.
In order to have the highest quality dairy products for his candy, the Curtiss Candy Company bought a large farm in Cary, Illinois where my grandparents bought, hired and breed the best foundation stock available in a wide variety of dairy breeds and beef cattle. It was innovative and a huge success.
When the candy company was sold, my grandparents Otto and Dorothy Schnering started the AI company. Both of hem are listed in the international Dairy Hall of Fame. My grandmother was quite active in the company and the source of many funny stories about people being mistaken about her role in the company.
The breeding service was sold, and eventually dismantled. But to this day, an award is in the name of Curtiss Candy Company at the World Dairy Expo in Madison, wisconsin. It's reputation, under my grandparents, shone around the world.
I am presently writing a book covering the A. I. Industry. I would like to visit with you. You can contact me by email [email protected] or call me at 540-798-9828. I have worked in the industry since 1961 and worked for the Trustee of the Bankruptcy Court for three months leading up to auction day. Walter McClure

I worked in the lab (and Barn) at Curtiss Breeding Industries, Elburn back in 1978 and '79 right until that idiot Neff destroyed it. A lot of good people lost their jobs because of his incompetence, greed and shady business dealings, but that's another story.
Paclamar Astronaut was my buddy right up to the day he died and I'm trying to find a good photo of him or old add depicting him.
All I've found is just one which is too small. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
I was reading the Replies I was trained in AI in Cary. At the time my all time favorite bull was there Paclamar Astronaut

Latest posts