curtiss breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":ijoqexar said:
boondocks":ijoqexar said:
Lucky_P":ijoqexar said:
Butch,
Heard a fellow talking on feeding Holstein steers once... made reference to their shallow gene pool - 'they're all their own grandpa'...

an oldie but a goody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
I had never heard that before... very funny song.

we used to play it for our son when he was a toddler. He would crack up, thought it was the funniest idea ever...

I have some older Curtiss Breeding Service Cryo equipment I have also been wondering about. I have large Linde/Union Carbide LR-311 and Linde/Union Carbide LNR-258 Storage units. They are all in working order and everything is in tact. Is there any value to these items anymore? It is neat to see the old Curtiss logo on the side and figured someone on here would have more information than is out there on these items. They were purchased from an old farm breeder. They are neat pieces of equipment either way just looking for additional info and where to look.

I also worked with Greg for curtiss breeding service in 1977. It was a great experience for me. I was 20 years old and was sales representative for California. I traveled back to Cary and elburn to see the facilities. Met some great people like Don Solberg, Scotty Woodrow, and Ray bak just to name a few. It's a shame what happened to such a great company. I was an ai technician for 40 years and have enjoyed working with dairymen.

Does anyone know if there is still any of the old Emulous semen around from Curtiss or some of the other 60's-70's Emulous bulls? It is hard to find anyone that still has these.
Thanks!

I did a google search trying to find information on Miles "Mack" McCarey from Curtiss and found this thread. My dad Don Solberg was with Curtiss many years and I grew up with all of his former colleagues as "uncles". It was fun reading through this post!

We still have a lot of cherished memorabilia from the old days going back to the Cary, IL. location. I found this thread and this site so may be dredging this post up from many, many years ago and thought I would share a picture of a limited print done of Paclamar Astronaut but I'm having a hard time sharing it with this page ... if you can tell me how, i'd be glad to.

I still remember when both he and Pawnee Farms Arlinda Chief were in the same barn in Elburn/Virgil. They were both in Cary before the new barns were built. The herdsman Floren Klopatek was an influential person in my life and we still miss him.

I hope those with memories of Curtiss will enjoy this picture ...

jon_solberg said:
I did a google search trying to find information on Miles "Mack" McCarey from Curtiss. My dad Don Solberg was with Curtiss many years and I grew up with all of his former colleagues as "uncles". It was fun reading through this post!

We still have a lot of cherished memorabilia from the old days going back to the Cary, IL. location. I found this thread and this site so may be dredging this post up from many, many years ago and thought I would share a picture of a limited print done of Paclamar Astronaut but I'm having a hard time sharing it with this page ... if you can tell me how, i'd be glad to.

I still remember when both he and Pawnee Farms Arlinda Chief were in the same barn in Elburn/Virgil. They were both in Cary before the new barns were built. The herdsman Floren Klopatek was an influential person in my life and we still miss him.

I hope those with memories of Curtiss will enjoy this picture ...
upload it to www.postimg.org and post the link to it here, use the "Hotlink for forums" link

I just found an old Curtiss breeding chart with handwritten notes and dates in early 1959 -1960 in my old barn. Says the service was in Canandaigua NY. This was a dairy, then later a beef farm around that time.

I bought some Charolais semen from a bull that was owned by Curtiss. I paid like 0.20 an ampule. I know next to nothing about the bull. Some of you people up there with a history with Curtiss-- maybe you could glance into your old catalogs to see if there is anything on this bull? Anything would be more than I have--

The bull's name is BLANK CHECK. His American Charolais registration number is M30294. He was calved 4/3/1967. His sire was also named Blank Check, M6820. His dam was MISS ARIZONA 534, RF42046. The younger Blank Check was bred by KYLE K BRUCE, HOPKINSVILLE, KY. He was owned by Curtiss Breeding and SMITH D BROADBENT JR&SONS, CADIZ, KY.

Anything in the bull ads and catalogs from maybe 1970 plus or minus a few years? Looks like his few AI calves that were registered were calved from about 75 to 82.

I used to work for Curtiss Breeding Sevice from 1973-1980. When I started working for Curtiss they were located in Cary, Illinois. They later built a new bull facility in Elburn, Illinois and still had offices in Cary.

Curtiss had different owners from its beginning. It used to be a part of Curtiss candy. You know--Baby Ruth, and butterfingers, I believe. When I worked for Curtiss it was owned by G.D. Searle a large pharmaceutical company. Searle animal research was the one that developed the Synchro-mate B product that was used to synchronize cattle.

Unfortunatly, G.D. Searle decided to sell Curtiss and its new owners just bought it to dismantle the company and it went out of business in the early 1980's.

Curtiss sold both Dairy and Beef semen when they were in business as well as animal health products and supplies. Great company for many years. The last job that I had with them was as a regional training teaching A.I. schools all over the country.
Greg, Eric Lyon your sire analyst from '76 to '80. Hope life has been good for you.

I just found an old Curtiss breeding chart with handwritten notes and dates in early 1959 -1960 in my old barn. Says the service was in Canandaigua NY. This was a dairy, then later a beef farm around that time.
I rode with a young Curtiss tech in Canandaigua in the late '70's....nice guy.

I have some old Curtis Simmental semen Bar Triangle Success, Bent Amour, Bold, Bulls-eye Dominic, JMI Topaz, Mr-P, Parisiens Star and SBL Chief. Looking forward to seeing some calves from them in the future and what other semen may still be out there.

I bought a semen tank from a retireing farmer and he brought out this curtiss breeding service AI box and put that in with the tank. I tried to do a search on curtiss but nothing came up. Does anyone know anything about them. I have heard that it was a cookie company. I'm guessing this box is from the early sixty's, just a guess.

Curtiss was based in Cary IL founder was Otto Schnering also founder of Curtiss Candy Co. Baby Ruth and Butterfinger. I graduated from Otto Sschning College at the age of 16 and became distributor and technicians with father and brother. Great bulls but also great people to work with

You guys are pups!! I took the course in April '65. Mel Kenley was President and Howard Smith instructor

Latest posts