Current price trends?

Help Support CattleToday:

So I guess not much demand if you pretty much bought every one you wanted? What did the steers of the same weight sell for? Prices around here very soft espicially for heifers.
I honestly couldn't tell you what the steers brought. If it wasn't a heifer between 500 and 550 I didn't really pay close attention. Also had an order for bred broken mouth cows for less than $600. I only got one of those. There was probably 20 of them there but they were mostly too heavy (1300-1400) so the kill buyers were paying more than my order wanted to pay. They split a broken mouth pair. Open char cross cow in good condition that weighed 1,200 brought $0.51. They started selling kill cows I got up and left. But the first 2 in the ring were thin cows that sold in the low 40's.

In SC Kansas- prices are not that low.... sounds a bit dramatized to me.
Steers black at Medicine Lodge are going for 139.00 to 140, per 100. Winfield KS was even higher Wednesday — plus every cattlemen I know says prices will go up after election. I believe that If not I'll hold

In SC Kansas- prices are not that low.... sounds a bit dramatized to me.
Steers black at Medicine Lodge are going for 139.00 to 140, per 100. Winfield KS was even higher Wednesday — plus every cattlemen I know says prices will go up after election. I believe that If not I'll hold

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201029-082859_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201029-082859_Chrome.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 21
Only 24 head of 5 wts. at the sale? Were you buying singles only?
They had a big feeder calf special on Monday where they ran a lot more calves. I only bought 2 singles. The rest were small groups 3, 4, 5. A lot of smaller calves and bigger ones. A 50 pound weight range is a fairly narrow window. But I will admit I did buy 4 that weighed 495 and 2 groups of 3 each that went 557 and 558. So I fudged outside my weight window.

I sold 12 head here in N MS last week. Black and black wf steers 7 head and heifers 5 head, avg 475, pretty consistent group
steers $1.29
Heifers $1.19

Between black buzzards and low prices i want to give them up, then i get home this afternoon and see 4 babies running like they are playing chase. I get a big smile and call my wife to come watch and know i have to keep them as long as i can afford them.

Bought some of my usual junk.calves today. Bull and a steer. Yes only 2. Averaged 557 and cost 50.41. Total of $562.25. Sold them tonight for $720.50. Sure beats wintering them

No sales last week. No Power and ice storm turned everyone into a wussy. Lol
I heard 1 barn had a sale, so it only had like 50 head. Should be a heavy week this time. I'm in sale barn mode. Love watching a good sale!

Huntet...that is entirely dependent on who wins the election. If Biden wins you can pretty much guarantee there will be further restrictions and shutdowns that will close processing plants down. If that happens it's going to take another nose dive and so will our economy...it's a gamble no matter what you do

Well prices are defiantly up this week. B sent me to the sale with the same order to buy heifers. They were starting them 3 or 4 cents above my limit. I saw 500 weight heifers sell for $1.57, same size steers beat $1.70. There was a couple of big feedlot buyer there. Once they got their trucks full they left they left. Prices dropped but there wasn't much that I wanted then. Just too big or junk. I only got 8 heifers bought. Not much for 6 hours of sitting in the sale barn.

Dave,
Prices yesterday here, at the beginning of the sale, were 10-15 lower than you.
Towards the end of the sale, it was getting pretty bad. My 5 weight steers only brought 1.31
Single heifer was 1.33 at 460
I guess it could a been worse

There was a very nice offering of 2 year old registered black angus breeding bulls tested and guaranteed. Weighed from 1300 to 1550
Brought 1225 to 1900 per head

Bought a longhorn heifer short bred for 275.
We will see what happens w her. My buddy may not want it. She may come to my house

B told me that his son went to Vale on Wednesday and said they were real cheap. I went to La Grande yesterday and they sure weren't cheap. So I looked up Vale's report. They listed 500-600 heifers at $1.17 to $1.24 with the high being $1.26. At La Grande one day later I was only able to buy one lot of 8 head and they cost $1.32. This week you could have made money buying in Vale and taking them to La Grande the next day.

Local sales barn for better 5 wts. is now:

$1.34 to 1.37 heifers, call it $675, could be $$$ raising replacements...
$1.45 to 1.53 steers, call it $750, don't plan to background these

Latest posts