Current price trends?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Looked at the market report for today's sales, the two markets I looked at both said light test and softer trends at $2-3 dollars lower for feeder calves or as a lot of areas call them stocker calves. Was thinking about going on and selling some winter and early spring calves tomorrow. Not sure if they are going to keep going lower especially if or when the fall run starts or if they may level out and come back within a week or so after the holiday?

Wish I had the crystal ball. I can't find rhyme nor reason to any of of lately. I would say (AND I MAY VERY WELL BE WRONG) that we will see normal seasonal trends with the next uptick being in February or so.

JMJ Farms said:
Wish I had the crystal ball. I can't find rhyme nor reason to any of of lately. I would say (AND I MAY VERY WELL BE WRONG) that we will see normal seasonal trends with the next uptick being in February or so.

That's what I think too as far as any normal predictions. There's so many variables seems like now that affect the markets and turn them on a dime it's impossible to account for all of it.

kenny thomas said:
Can't remember where you sell but Paris seems to be doing better than some of the other locations in that area lately.

We currently sell at Mt. Sterling, but have seriously thought about trying Paris.

Here local, we have seen a drop of $.10-.20 on the steer calves from about 3 weeks ago. Heifers are pretty steady for the last month or 2. From 350 to 550 or 6 wts the heifers have run in the 120's to 135's.... Steers were as high as 1.70 for 4 wts ( we got 1.70 on a group of 5 420 lb steers) and many were in the 1.60's . Last 2 weeks they have dropped to the 1.50's mostly... might have been some of the holiday. 6wts were in the 1.30's to1.45's-.... Cow sale they were higher than I thought they ought to be, for no more than being just "cows".. and several were pretty aggressive in the ring.... yet several brought in the 1200 to 1600 range. I bought one for lb price, confirmed 8 months, because she walks a little stiff. Cost me 710.... and she presented me with a bull calf the next day. There were a couple others in the 7 -8 mo range, but they had their heads up looking for an exit... too high strung for my taste. I am satisfied with the one I got, would have taken a few more if they were calmer. Said that the one group only saw people from a distance in a truck or when the calves were caught up. NOPE can't run fast enough to get out of their way. The cow I got weighed over 1280.... if she does a decent job with the calf, she might get another chance. She was watchful but not snorty or anything when we eartagged the calf, and she got a Triangle 10 shot. Wanted to let her out on clean pasture with a couple others with small calves and get oriented a bit. Will get the whole group in in about a month or so, and work the calves. There are a couple of scattered cows with small calves, and a group that should be calving now.... all the calves will get worked before they get turned out to other winter pastures.

Calves, both steers and heifers are about $100 a head higher than they were this time last year. Kill cow prices are slipping. They have dropped nearly 20 cents in the last month. The big runs won't start for about a month when the cows start coming out of the hills. Generally those big runs will cause the prices to slip. But not always. My crystal ball seems to have a crack in it.

Due to the drought many calves have already been moved and sold in this area. The calf run will be lighter this fall. Many cows and bulls were brought to market also. Many have sold a percentage of their cows. Many up to 50%. We did receive some moisture this week. Enough to plant wheat on but will need more to make pasture. We plan to wean in early November-and then decide how long to retain them.
Surprisingly bred cow and cow/calf cows have remaibed strong

Stocker Steve said:
Dave said:
Calves, both steers and heifers are about $100 a head higher than they were this time last year.

Calves were panic priced last fall.
What can you forward contract yearlings for compared to last fall?

We still haven't got an answer to that question. Last year we got $1.30 for heifers and $1.40 for steers That is at 900 pounds for an early August delivery. On Wednesday at Vale the 450 pound heifers I bought last year averaged $0.235 a pound more than I paid last year. It still pencils but there is no room for anything going wrong. They would all have to make weight. No cripples, dead, or calves that get cut off for whatever reason. Right now the margins are just too close to jump in. B is saying he figures we need a dime more than last year. I don't know that we will get it. I guess it depends on how this year's calves do for the buyer and what the futures market does.

400 lb steer calves brought up to $3.30 today at Kamloops. Big calf sale in Williams Lake tomorrow.

400 lb steer calves brought up to $3.30 today at Kamloops. Big calf sale in Williams Lake tomorrow.
Were you there? I didn't see what made those steers worth that much, Paying $1K for a 3wt steer when you can get a 5wt steer for the same price doesn't add up to me.

I took a few vids of the sale

Nice group of heifers, 540 lbs, $1.88 CAD

Here's the small steers that went over $3

Here's mine

Well since I last posted on this thread calf prices have dropped considerably. In the last two months the price is down over $100 a head with light calves really taking a beating. Cull cows are off nearly 10 cents. It is probably getting close to time to jump in. Just need to decide which way to jump. With cull cow prices down I am leaning toward broken mouth bred cows.

We are in a free fall right now on prices. It's the perfect storm between the election, corn, demand, drought causing people to unload, drought not producing winter grass for calves to go to... its nasty.

I'm usually a bird in the had is better than 2 in the bush kind of guy but I'm holding until January.

A good buyer makes money on pretty much everything. I think the business experts would say that light calves are usually a better (risk adjusted) investment than one and done cows since you can contract the selling price. What does the 2021 yearling contract look like?

Huge hay piles and some wrapped cover crop in eastern Dakotas - - so young cows will be going west again this winter. Local weekly auction price is about $900 right now. My situation is that I have a hay surplus but very little grain in hand, so cows are an easier fit.

The talking heads are already discussing drought spreading in 2021. Don't think too much about weather forecasting but retaining some carry over hay will be a good idea as usual.

Today wan't a good day at our local market. Had a few I needed to move and took a beating.

Today wan't a good day at our local market. Had a few I needed to move and took a beating.
I saw the same thing today. I didnt have any at the sale but those who did really got hit. Only a lil over 100 sold. Cheap cheap.
Now that we have gotten a bit of moisture, I think things will be better. We will see. I'm selling some the 5th

Latest posts