Current price trends?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya, I sold a few today-and the price I got for 1 older -NOT OLD- cow—is sickening, cow weighed 1460lbs, is in no way a cull cow and she brought $860.00.
I thought I was clear when I gave girl her info but lol "grouchy man" was pushing us all so we had to hurry(even though no one was behind us, he's always in a bad mood)🤣
Next time I'll sell cows on Craigslist if I have any or NOT sell.
Calves did fine brought good prices $127-$139, "except1 Charolais" but they always sell for less.

Attachments

• 31AF137E-F520-4DA2-A152-B9A0CE6E07E2.jpeg
    31AF137E-F520-4DA2-A152-B9A0CE6E07E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
What are the reasons you think prices may get worse? Not saying that's wrong but other than political BS and feed prices what else are you seeing?
There was a member on here who gave a synopsis on how things might trend as closer to December—it was all political driven ie'closing slaughterhouse' ...but not sure that will happen this winter' I tried to weigh my pro/cons and listened.

On a side note I sold a few today in Winfield kS weaned calves did well weighing 580-595lbs went for $1.27-1.49. But my Charolais cow weighing 1460lbs I lost money—cow prices were terrible. She wasn't too old or a cull next time I'll try to sell out right or NOT sell.

Last edited:
Ya, I sold a few today-and the price I got for 1 older -NOT OLD- cow—is sickening, cow weighed 1460lbs, is in no way a cull cow and she brought $860.00.
I thought I was clear when I gave girl her info but lol "grouchy man" was pushing us all so we had to hurry(even though no one was behind us, he's always in a bad mood)🤣
Calves did fine brought good prices $127-$139, "except1 Charolais" but they always sell for less.
Spot on! And yet, slammed on the brakes and offered to help me fix fences one day (he has relatives within a few miles). Pretty rough around the edges but a good soul - if you dig deep;)

I bought 24 heifers today. All black or black whiteface. They averaged weighing 530 and I averaged paying $1.218 a pound for them. That works out to $646.16 per head. The order I was given was 500-550 pound good black hided heifers for under $700 a head. I basically bought every heifer in that size that walked into the ring. There was a few I passed on but they sure weren't number ones.
That is about you would have to give to buy the front end 500 to 550 weight heifers here in East Texas.

So was the cow bred or just a nice open cow? She brought .59lb. I'm selling a nice short bred 8 Y.O. tomorrow. Hope she brings .59 lb. I would be pleased if she did. . If she does, I can trade her for a more moderate size, younger cross bred cow, and maybe mid term bred for the same amount of money.

That cow brought $58.90 per 100 lbs ($860/1460) and that would have topped our packer cow market here.

So was the cow bred or just a nice open cow? She brought .59lb. I'm selling a nice short bred 8 Y.O. tomorrow. Hope she brings .59 lb. I would be pleased if she did. . If she does, I can trade her for a more moderate size, younger cross bred cow, and maybe mid term bred for the same amount of money.
She was pregnant and had many yrs left in her; she has balloon teats, only right after giving birth, (not when sold) but calves always figured it out, I thought I made all that clear to the lister.

But we've always seen lower numbers for the charolais so we're getting out.
Our 700lb charolias steer sold for $27 LESS than a 595lb Black steer today.

Plus we went to a Red angus bull and don't want anymore light orange babies ....

Last edited:
Sounds like she brought good slaughter price.
Or I should say, sounds like a slaughter buyer bought her.
Dont sound like terrible money. That's pretty close to tops for older cows here.

U do know u can bid on your own animal right?
I brought a heifer back home last Friday. Wasn't gonna give her away. Cost me 10 bucks. I've wasted more than that on silly crap

Question: do pregnant cows always go in the cull bin even if u describe why your selling? Are cows always lowest selling or does it vary?

Sounds like she brought good slaughter price.
Or I should say, sounds like a slaughter buyer bought her.
Dont sound like terrible money. That's pretty close to tops for older cows here.

U do know u can bid on your own animal right?
I brought a heifer back home last Friday. Wasn't gonna give her away. Cost me 10 bucks. I've wasted more than that on silly crap
No I didn't really know how I was watching online and I missed her go unfortunately—but me & hubby are kicking ourselves — cause I had today off work I should drove to the sale.
I LOVE to learn everything the hard way so I can remember good. 🤑

Question: do pregnant cows always go in the cull bin even if u describe why your selling? Are cows always lowest selling or does it vary?
Slaughter buyers like to buy older cows. Short bred doesnt matter to them. Depends on who's looking for a replacement or not. May or may not be what someone was looking for to take back home on THAT day unfortunately.

We all learn a thing or two the harder way. Yep. Easier to remember later! Lol

I'm learning .....can anyone tell me what these type terms mean?
Specifically the. CHAR. "BRCW" ?
Last time I sold a cow it said "RED COW".

maybe local terms I'll call ask tomm but haven't seen this on my other sales sheets.

Attachments

• 14A61563-8F65-4F48-A11A-2E322E852E25.jpeg
    14A61563-8F65-4F48-A11A-2E322E852E25.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Well you haven't told us how long they had her marked bred or does the salebarn not have a vet that does that? With balloon teats she will go to the packers in most cases. Their are to many good cows out there so why buy one that you hope the calf can get a teat in its mouth.

Lots of good cows go to the packers, The one I am selling tomorrow has nothing wrong with her. She is just going to calve out of sequence with my others. She was a month late last year and will be anther month late this year. She is big and short bred so no reason to have her preg checked. She will go to the packers either way.

Well you haven't told us how long they had her marked bred or does the salebarn not have a vet that does that? With balloon teats she will go to the packers in most cases. Their are to many good cows out there so why buy one that you hope the calf can get a teat in its mouth.

Lots of good cows go to the packers, The one I am selling tomorrow has nothing wrong with her. She is just going to calve out of sequence with my others. She was a month late last year and will be anther month late this year. She is big and short bred so no reason to have her preg checked. She will go to the packers either way.
U can't see her balloon teats - it's only when her calves r born. No I'm guessing they don't preg check( only my 3rd time selling). I told them my vet confirmed preg in June to calf in march (assuming this is called "long bred")?
pic was before she went I take pics of all before they go.
Ya I looked back on last preg cow I sold and she only went for .68 per 100 so apparently I need to understand cows sell way lower.
Wishing u luck tomm -

Attachments

• C44D0F78-B444-48CB-B5E1-A6AEACBF4373.jpeg
    C44D0F78-B444-48CB-B5E1-A6AEACBF4373.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I just saw where you said she had balloon teats when she first calves. At 1460 lbs, she is bigger than most people want (eats too much, so higher maintenance), a good buyer will spot those teats and pass or just buy her as a packer cow. Each region has unique preferences. Here, a Charolais cross will sell par with a black calf and usually will weigh more at the same age. Don't get hung up on price per lb., look at total dollars. As an old feedyard manager once told me , "Son, around here we keep score with $ bills". Never forgot that one.

All the sales here you must tell them when you unload that you want them preg checked and sold by the head.
You could tell them anything about how long they are bred but unless checked at the sale the info is pretty much Worthless.
Cows are normally the cheapest thing in lb price. A calf could bring 1.30 at 600 lb. Sell for $1.00 as a young cow, and .50 as she matures and gets older. That's just how the meat market is.

I'm learning .....can anyone tell me what these type terms mean?
Specifically the. CHAR. "BRCW" ?
Last time I sold a cow it said "RED COW".

maybe local terms I'll call ask tomm but haven't seen this on my other sales sheets.
I haven't seen BRCW on any I've sold. You said she was older, maybe broken mouth? They do preg check most of them unless they're clearly a canner. Most of them will have P1, P2 or P3 (for trimester) written on their hip. Even if you guarantee-open heifer calves, they preg check.

I sold a 13 1/2 year old cow a few months ago. One of my faves but she was falling behind and (bless her heart) didn't even have hair on the back of her ears anymore - winters are hard for her. But she was solid, short mouth, still maintaining condition and actually sold as bred. A lot of people pick up older, bred cows to get one more calf out of them and then sell.

Latest posts