Current price trends?

Help Support CattleToday:

Huntet...that is entirely dependent on who wins the election. If Biden wins you can pretty much guarantee there will be further restrictions and shutdowns that will close processing plants down. If that happens it's going to take another nose dive and so will our economy...it's a gamble no matter what you do
oh my God.....

we haven't sold many cattle so trying to study the futures right now but I got a friend who says the attached ISNT real prices only market pricing; says I need a friend whose a buyer to have them tell me real value.
Say what?? we sure thought this was real sales after they happened ..... please advise.

Attachments

• F1DBEC0A-2216-4282-895B-37ED1EC7323C.jpeg
    F1DBEC0A-2216-4282-895B-37ED1EC7323C.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2720A7E5-4FF1-4464-91FA-D792E135504E.jpeg
    2720A7E5-4FF1-4464-91FA-D792E135504E.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 2
I never get what's posted on the internet sales info. Sale reports are always higher even at the barn I sold in. Here's the part where yall critique my cattle. Oh well, I like'm and you ain't paying my bills.

oh my God.....
I

we haven't sold many cattle so trying to study the futures right now but I got a friend who says the attached ISNT real prices only market pricing; says I need a friend whose a buyer to have them tell me real value.
Say what?? we sure thought this was real sales after they happened ..... please advise.
It's the price of the #1 best calves normally. Everyone thinks they have the #1. No #2 or #3. Lots of price difference sometimes.

I

It's the price of the #1 best calves normally. Everyone thinks they have the #1. No #2 or #3. Lots of price difference sometimes.
Correct. And the average. They don't post the dink calf or cull cow that was practically given away. I like to compare the results with El Dorado & Blackwell.

Side note: Winfield will market your calves as early consignments if you provide the info prior to the sale, including whether they are backgrounded (fully weaned, shots, etc). I email Leslie a spreadsheet and Justin has it during the sale. That said, the same buyer purchases my calves every year.

What are the reasons you think prices may get worse? Not saying that's wrong but other than political BS and feed prices what else are you seeing?

We continue to overproduce most commodities so export is the market maker. The talking heads say there is good upside in (sweet and sour) pork, not so much in beef. We are going to see slaughter weights and beef cow numbers continue lower, but it takes several years for bovine biology to play out.

I am continuing to cull hard and retain efficient $600 heifer calves. I think grazing 2021 yearling will be profitable. Question is how many to breed.

That's great info; ya we are setting up to take our 6 Tuesday night since we think prices will get worse
We take our calves Tuesday night (too many for sale day) but if you only have 6, you may want to consider taking them in Wednesday morning & save a couple bucks for overnight feed. Auction starts at 11:00.

On ours around here the price on the left is usually the avg and the price on the right is the high.

I

There is a lot of difference in market report. Some have a report listed by the USDA. They have a person who attends the sale just to report on the market. But in some states they report at a lot of sales and other states they do none at all. Lots of reports are done by the sale yard themselves. To say that the credibility of those reports is questionable might be an under statement. The two sales nearest to me both do self report. I have sat in the sale and then read the report a day or two later. One will be right what I saw. The other? Might have a good market But not near as good as reported. Lets just say I wouldn't want to buy a used car from that sale owner.

Fed and feeder prices have been on an upwards trend since Oct 20, and up big time this morning on the Chicago. Surely this will eventually filter down to our level.
Stock market went wild today due to first effective corona vaccine. Will be a while yet before folks get back to eating out on prime rib night.

A grass based gambler would have bought light calves in October, and take them to grass next spring. Stocker VOG will be higher since corn prices has moved up.

Stock market went wild today due to first effective corona vaccine. Will be a while yet before folks get back to eating out on prime rib night.

A grass based gambler would have bought light calves in October, and take them to grass next spring. Stocker VOG will be higher since corn prices has moved up.
Yup... DIS bringing the heat. Up like 10% from Friday to today.

What are the reasons you think prices may get worse? Not saying that's wrong but other than political BS and feed prices what else are you seeing?
Some corona hot spots are out of control. Due to staffing shortages, some of these areas are allowing corona positive medical personnel to continue to working, but only in the corona ward...

What are the odds we will have packing plant shutdowns this winter?

Last edited:

Latest posts