Curly Toe?

Help Support CattleToday:

BrandonC

Reaction score
I have a 5yr. old cow that was diagnosed by a vet with Curly Toe. Does anyone have any experience with this. I personally haven't heard of it, but he said it was hereditary and it wouldn't go away. Please help because I don't want to get rid of this wonderful cow. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the animal has foundered. look it up, several factors can cause this.

some animals will do that on soft ground and it is genetic. best to cull against.

foundered animals also may have curved or long hooves.

I've also herd it called Screw Claw from our vet. I've got a cow with it. As long as she's on rocky ground there is no problem but if she is on sandy soft ground long enough for the hooves to grow out a little they just keep on growing and will eentually start to curl. If you want to keep your cow you will just have to keep an eye on her hoof growth and if it starte to get long have them trimmed. Our vet has a squeese chute that tilts and works great for that sort of thing. We've only had to have her trimmed once, our ground is pretty rocky. I also have her daughter, who is 5 yrs old now and has great feet, she's never gotten long hooves.

sidney411":2qlewuuk said:
I've also herd it called Screw Claw from our vet. I've got a cow with it. As long as she's on rocky ground there is no problem but if she is on sandy soft ground long enough for the hooves to grow out a little they just keep on growing and will eentually start to curl. If you want to keep your cow you will just have to keep an eye on her hoof growth and if it starte to get long have them trimmed. Our vet has a squeese chute that tilts and works great for that sort of thing. We've only had to have her trimmed once, our ground is pretty rocky. I also have her daughter, who is 5 yrs old now and has great feet, she's never gotten long hooves.

This is one of those confusion of terms deals. When curly toe was mentioned, founder was brought up. Screw claw and founder are 2 unrelated deals. Not sure what this curly toe is, depends on which way it curls. Alos have heard screw claw scissor toe.
So, which way is the toe growing? Curled look pixie shoes or crossed like a scossors?

dun

Well, I just figured curly toe would be the same as screw claw. My cows claws were starting to cross each other - although not that bad yet, so I guess scissor toes?

The one toe will grow long and it curls up and over the other toe. The vet also said another symptom of curly toe is that the botton of the hoof gets soft and this allows cracks and infections. I did ask about foundering and this is a separate issue from foundering. He also said he doesn't recommend keeping a cow with curly toe because it can be passed on, but it is a recessive gene. Thanks again for all of your suggestions so far.

a vet that worked for the usda told me that it was passed on by the bull, and that if you were getting that trait passed down to your calves, to change bulls.

cant tell you if he is right or wrong, that is just what he said.

either way, i still have problems of retaining a heifer out of a cow with long feet.

jt

jt":315vy6pt said:
a vet that worked for the usda told me that it was passed on by the bull, and that if you were getting that trait passed down to your calves, to change bulls.

cant tell you if he is right or wrong, that is just what he said.

either way, i still have problems of retaining a heifer out of a cow with long feet.

jt
well i would'nt he's right.

Only problem with the not retaining heifers part is that I haven't seen it till cows get to be 7-8 years old. Kind of late at that point.

dun