Curly hair

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I know I've seen this on here before but can't find it...and can't quite remember any of the replies;)

We have a show heifer that has curly hair, but it's only on her tail head. Any idea's on getting it to straighten out?

Fog with white vinegar and conditioner, then brush her as you want the hair to sit (this works well for whole body setting). then you can either blow dry her or leave her to dry naturally. A few days of this does wonders.
It's quick, cheap and easy.

I did that on a couple of steers that were curly all over and it worked wonders, 4 days of fogging lasted about two weeks for me and it doesnt hurt the hair if repeated like the straightener that Sullivan's sells.

Killala":1wf1d2wp said:
Fog with white vinegar and conditioner, then brush her as you want the hair to sit (this works well for whole body setting). then you can either blow dry her or leave her to dry naturally. A few days of this does wonders.

wow. i thought you just had to take 2 hours to blowdry it straight and flat iron the tail head[long story]. i guess you do learn something new every day

grand chaser09":3ovpkdoq said:
Killala":3ovpkdoq said:

wow. i thought you just had to take 2 hours to blowdry it straight and flat iron the tail head[long story]. i guess you do learn something new every day

OMG...lol Tori :lol2: :lol2: No that's what we have to do to our hair...but maybe we could just fog our head with vinegar and conditioner. Now that's something to think about :nod: You try it out tonight and let me know how it works for ya ;-)

Flacowboy":1cum7yyj said:
I did that on a couple of steers that were curly all over and it worked wonders, 4 days of fogging lasted about two weeks for me and it doesnt hurt the hair if repeated like the straightener that Sullivan's sells.

It's fantastic stuff, my secret weapon actually (not so secret anymore!), but you can't overdo it.
The vinegar works really well to lift any scurf and dandruff.

Killala":1faw4zol said:
Flacowboy":1faw4zol said:

It's fantastic stuff, my secret weapon actually (not so secret anymore!), but you can't overdo it.

1/2 and 1/2?

iowahawkeyes":34ftwqwm said:
Killala":34ftwqwm said:
Flacowboy":34ftwqwm said:

1/2 and 1/2?

Yes roughly, but you can alter the mix to suit. I don't use any more than 1/2 conditioner, just play around with the vinegar.

Killala":35ka77p7 said:
Flacowboy":35ka77p7 said:

I can't wait to try it out! I'm trying to hold off a bit as we are getting all of Canada's weather right now :frowns: From what I hear, Iowa is getting it worse than we are...yikes! Thanks so much for the tip, I'll let ya know how it goes. Are you using mane and tail conditioner?

show time":3uu0lmoe said:
grand chaser09":3uu0lmoe said:
Killala":3uu0lmoe said:

OMG...lol Tori :lol2: :lol2: No that's what we have to do to our hair...but maybe we could just fog our head with vinegar and conditioner. Now that's something to think about :nod: You try it out tonight and let me know how it works for ya ;-)

i'll try that and see how it works tomorrow night. ;-) what kind of conditioner would work the best?? :lol2: :lol2:

show time":3ddv4eav said:
Killala":3ddv4eav said:
Flacowboy":3ddv4eav said:

I can't wait to try it out! I'm trying to hold off a bit as we are getting all of Canada's weather right now :frowns: From what I hear, Iowa is getting it worse than we are...yikes! Thanks so much for the tip, I'll let ya know how it goes. Are you using mane and tail conditioner?

You can use any conditioner. Obviously stock shampoo is designed for cattle, but I just get a cheap one from the supermarket.
One I really like to use is what I use in my own hair- Sunsilk Silky and Straight. It's good stuff!! (Not sure if it's better than anything else but I sorta like to think so- plus, they smell pretty! :p :D )

grand chaser09":37um6q65 said:
another question... do you blow it on wet or dry??

well, it's liquid, so when it's blown on will be wet :p it's up to you whether you then comb it through and blow it, or just leave it to air dry. but if you do blow dry, make sure you brush it in real well before doing so.

Keren":3vyfjola said:
Carla ... I have a feeling the question might have meant do you start off with the animal wet and then blow it on, or start off with it dry and then blow it on ...

Start with it dry. I don't think I've done it with a wet animal before but I wouldn't think there'd be any problem with it.

Killala":3fj3h7fd said:
grand chaser09":3fj3h7fd said:
another question... do you blow it on wet or dry??

well, it's liquid, so when it's blown on will be wet :p it's up to you whether you then comb it through and blow it, or just leave it to air dry. but if you do blow dry, make sure you brush it in real well before doing so.
i meant do you wet the calf or not lol. but i gotcha

tatts18":1123trtk said:
This might seem like a dumb question but what exactly is fogging?

A fogger goes on your blower and it....it is like a mist but a fog. lol. It's hard for me to explain anyother way, sorry.

nowi get to put this little peice of info to work. i just had a baby hit the ground about a month ago and she has been getting curlier and curlier everyday. looks like she has a jerry curl going on.

Latest posts