CURLY CALF SYNDROME in AAA

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":13j89ovg said:
Dr. Beever has not approved a test for CCS yet. Yes, there is one, but he's apparently not satisified with it. Until he is, the Angus Assn is not encouraging people to test. I keep seeing that the AI studs are going to release a list of their bulls with CCS, but that doesn't make any sense to me. If they use an unproven test and the bull shows up positive now, negative later with the final test, they'll never be able to unring that bell. :???: I think we're just going to have to be patient and avoid all 1680 genetics until he releases a test that he feels is good.

Has anyone seen a list from Select Sires that says a specific bull is a CCS carrier?

You or I would need to wait for a test. IF Select Sires or any of the other large A.I. studs communicated with their long time clients about what they are looking for I have a good idea that they could sit down with some pedigrees and come up with a pretty good idea which of their veteran sires were carriers and which were not. I am sure some of the fieldmen have heard stories about wierd limbed still births for some time. We know that this popped up as early as 2002. Only with young sires would they need to wait for a test. Now getting legal to approve "outing" a bull that is owned all or in part by somebody else is an entirely different matter and is probably responsible for a large part of the hold up.

Frankie":1ocb3ezr said:
Dr. Beever has not approved a test for CCS yet. Yes, there is one, but he's apparently not satisified with it. Until he is, the Angus Assn is not encouraging people to test. I keep seeing that the AI studs are going to release a list of their bulls with CCS, but that doesn't make any sense to me. If they use an unproven test and the bull shows up positive now, negative later with the final test, they'll never be able to unring that bell. :???: I think we're just going to have to be patient and avoid all 1680 genetics until he releases a test that he feels is good.

Has anyone seen a list from Select Sires that says a specific bull is a CCS carrier?

Why do you think 1680 is the only threat? Did I miss something? In my business experience, I am sensing there could be broader issue which could explain the silence and time delay regarding the potentially millions of cattle and thousands of breeders.

Third Row":vqq2phdu said:
What is it that everyone predicting this will be a big deal has a username based on another breed?

I just went to a concert to see a famous country singing star in Shreveport. Guess what row I was sitting on? Yes, the "Third Row". Does that make you a rock and roll singing finatic?

I don't know how I managed that, but all my lines appear to be free of the problem, all my semen I purchased tested free too, guess it was just beginners luck! :banana: Even the sire of the new calf tested free. :santa:

In my business experience, I am sensing there could be broader issue which could explain the silence and time delay regarding the potentially millions of cattle and thousands of breeders.
Dude, seriously, it's time to give it up, nobody is buying your load of bull. We all know you are trying to stir things up, it's called trolling and is typically the realm of high school boys who want attention.

There isn't silence and time delay, they've had about one announcement a week and just put out a list of the status of nearly 800 AI bulls.

Third Row":1cd51k5f said:
In my business experience, I am sensing there could be broader issue which could explain the silence and time delay regarding the potentially millions of cattle and thousands of breeders.
Dude, seriously, it's time to give it up, nobody is buying your load of bull. We all know you are trying to stir things up, it's called trolling and is typically the realm of high school boys who want attention.

There isn't silence and time delay, they've had about one announcement a week and just put out a list of the status of nearly 800 AI bulls.

Sounds like you and 'Angus Cowman' have allot in invested in Angus cattle.

I have 7 purebred Angus cows that are all bred to either Simmental or club calf bulls. The rest of our 150+ cows are Simmental, Maine, Chi, Angus, and Brahman based. I couldn't care less about any specific breed.

YOU are the one trying to take things out of perspective and perpetuate fear and panic. Luckily, people on this board have smelled enough real life B.S. to fall for yours.

Are you going to keep repeating your line about them being secretive now that they've released the list of ~800 bulls?

Third Row":3bjwju7e said:
I have 7 purebred Angus cows that are all bred to either Simmental or club calf bulls. The rest of our 150+ cows are Simmental, Maine, Chi, Angus, and Brahman based. I couldn't care less about any specific breed.

YOU are the one trying to take things out of perspective and perpetuate fear and panic. Luckily, people on this board have smelled enough real life B.S. to fall for yours.

Are you going to keep repeating your line about them being secretive now that they've released the list of ~800 bulls?

Not sure I am following you. What 800 bull list? You mean to tell me the AAA has narrowed CCS down to 800 bulls or am I misunderstanding you?

Third Row":3hdqcgqk said:
It's the list you claim the AAA is keeping secret to hide a "broader issue". They're hiding it in a link from the front page of their site.

It's actually a list of 736 AI bulls that have been tested. 62 were positive.

http://www.angus.org/NAAB_release.pdf

TY. When was this written (no date on doc)? Not sure what else you are referring to.

That list became public knowledge today. That is when the list went up at the AAA website. Owners of the bulls in question might have known before this but not by more than a couple of days.

Feel free to correct the following opionated text:

62 / 736 = 8.4% of all living Angus animals, males and females, with a small error percentage. This is very good news. I wonder if Bryce read this message board the other day and put a fire under Jonathon's seat. Although there are a couple of major assumptions and the report is not final, 8.4% is much smaller than I was thinking. It is very important they don't make a mistake on the front end with their assumptions such as believing it to be a recessive mutation. The main thing I liked about the entire text is that they are documenting and releasing the good stuff to the masses. This is a very good sign. It should be nice to know the association you work with is this capable, much unlike other breed associations. However, the text has allot of holes in it and 30-45 days with two Universities if not enough manpower.

Third Row":3t9nfbu4 said:
I wonder if Bryce read this message board the other day and put a fire under Jonathon's seat.
You sure take yourself pretty seriously huh?

Again, I am not exactly following you....my cows were purchased from Bryce. I think he has done a great job so far. I trust him very much.

Arkieman":jy87pe1z said:
Cormac":jy87pe1z said:
Arkieman, BR Midland is free.

Thanks Cormac

Thanks from me, too. Midland was the only bull we've used that traces directly back to 1680. So we dodged a bullet there. I'm glad to see the list is out and the test will be available in a few weeks.

Brandonm22":19cletyj said:
Frankie":19cletyj said:

You or I would need to wait for a test. IF Select Sires or any of the other large A.I. studs communicated with their long time clients about what they are looking for I have a good idea that they could sit down with some pedigrees and come up with a pretty good idea which of their veteran sires were carriers and which were not. I am sure some of the fieldmen have heard stories about wierd limbed still births for some time. We know that this popped up as early as 2002. Only with young sires would they need to wait for a test. Now getting legal to approve "outing" a bull that is owned all or in part by somebody else is an entirely different matter and is probably responsible for a large part of the hold up.

The AAA doesn't have to get approval to out a bull. If they have a test and he failes it, they can put him on the list. They do give the owner some time to appeal their decision, but they don't need his permission. But, yes, with all the money people have tied up in some of these bulls, it might get a bit dicey listing them. But it has to happen. I hope everyone understands that.

HerefordSire":2zndwbu4 said:
8.4% is much smaller than I was thinking.

8.4% of the bulls tested doesnt come close to meaning 8.4% of the population. Future Direction and 1680 by themselves probably have more influence in the current Angus breed than the rest of the list. I would expect more in the 15-25% range for carriers in the whole breed.

Latest posts