Curious about others experience with PreDef

Help Support CattleToday:

SixBucksADay

Reaction score
We run a substantial herd with an extensive vaccination program. We vaccinated for pink-eye yet still wind up with four or five cases each year. I used to use 1/2 cc PreDef with 1/2 cc Oxytet in the eyelid and it always did a great job at clearing it up. We also keep detailed records. We usually have about 60 - 80 replacement heifers a year. About 4 - 5 of those wind up open each year and get shipped, but I noticed while reviewing records that for two years in a row, every open heifer was doctored for pink-eye as a calf. I asked our vet if there was any correlation with PreDef as it appears to be the common denominator. He was sure it was just coincidence or some other issue such as a compromised immune system (maybe lack of colostrum as a calf) that was a factor in both issues. Since then we switched to Dexameth plus Oxytet just as a precaution (works good also). Don't have history yet to see if it made a difference, but I was wondering if anyone out there had any similar experiences??

I am not familiar with PreDef. We inject LA200 & drench the eye with Today (an antibiotic for udders) and put a patch over the eye. We also do not vaccinate for pinkeye (about the only thing we don't vaccinate for!) Not a major problem for us.
Interested to hear/read any other's comments.

Predef is my favorite anti inflammatory to use and I have never ever had a problem. Although I have never squirted it in an eye and we seldom ever have pink eye problems.

I think you might need to look at your health program .. If I have a calf with pneumonia etc and it needs an anti inflammatory I give it predef we used it exclusively at the dairy as well and the heifers and cows, all bred or rebred with out issues.

He was sure it was just coincidence or some other issue such as a compromised immune system (maybe lack of colostrum as a calf) that was a factor in both issues.

Sounds like your vet thinks this as well.

Good luck..

Haven't used Predef 2X in years but when we did use it we never gave it to an animal that had been confirmed bred....I can't remember if there is a warning on the label or not but it has been known to terminate pregnancies. Dex sometimes will as well.

For pink eye I always put a large squirt of an oil based mastitis medication under the eyelid and then patched the eye with a square cut from an old pair of denim jeans. Worked real well.

It was never used on anything bred. These were all babies on the mom at time of treatment. Our vet has always been complimentary of our health program. He is probably right, just thought I would see if anyone else noticed. That treatment with mastitis medicine is interesting. We use a patch too, after treatment.

Latest posts