Curious about bermuda....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I've got a 20 acre pen where I feed hay during the winter months. This area was planted in bahia grass several years ago but with time the cows have trompled the grass to bare dirt around the rings and then I move the rings.

I've noticed bermuda grass coming up in this area. At the moment it has covered about 1/3 of the pen. Most of the bermuda does not look like Alecia or Tift 85(which is what I feed). Question is, what is it and where did it come from - seed is my guess but I thought these two were infertile.

Oh the grass looks like common bermuda to me - low growing.

Just curious.

Most likely it is whatever type bermuda was in the hay bales. Could be coastal or common or some other. I learned the hard way about being careful what type of hay you feed and then turn cows out to pasture...got johnson grass, fescue and bermuda growing places that were never seeded for it.

There is always a problem with weed & other grass seeds in hay bales IF the hay was NOT grown with prudent herbicide, fertilization, and irrigation program.

Common Bermudagrass seed is VERY small. If I am not mistaken the "Coastal Bermudagrass" is a hybrid and is generally sprigged, not sown.

Bermudagrass grows rapidly via runners, especially if it has a little water and fertilizer.

At our facility, we buy only "horse quality" bermuda hay for our Longhorns and horses. Essentially the only thing produced around here. We don't need anyone else's weeds...we have our own. We don't pay any more for our quality bermuda than for "low quality" (usually from out of our area and higher trucking costs).

Our pastures are native (common) bermudagrass here.

its most likely from your hay. alicia particularly seems to be good (or bad?) about coming up where you feed.

Beefy":1h4o1bo4 said:
its most likely from your hay. alicia particularly seems to be good (or bad?) about coming up where you feed.

That's what I first thought but it is too small. Running Arrow may be right. I was just kinda wondering about whether those little seeds you sometimes get if you let it "seed out" could possibly germinate and if so what would they come up as.

Because I'm cheap, I've been systematically moving the rings throughout the field in hopes of letting the cows sprig me another hay field. Don't look like its gonna work though cause whatever this is, it ain't a high yielder! :lol: