cure lice and oramyicin

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
I just bought 2 black Angus heifrs (looking to buy another) 1 is 325lbs other is 435...The 435 has lice and has rubbed some spots on its rump and neck how can I treat it? And what does oramyicin do for calves...

Spray with permethrin 10 (mix per instructions) for biting lice and used ivomec (per instruction/weight) for the sucking lice. Then repeat in two weeks to kill the hatching nits. This should fix you right up. Make sure you don't do it on a rainy day a wash it all off. If you have them together I would treat both because the other one will be infected by the current host anyway.

Dixieangus said:
I just bought 2 black Angus heifrs (looking to buy another) 1 is 325lbs other is 435...The 435 has lice and has rubbed some spots on its rump and neck how can I treat it? And what does oramyicin do for calves...[/quote]

I think you mean Aureomycin, a feed grade antibiotic ( chloratetracycline) .

Larry

Dixieangus":1t0s3f08 said:
I just bought 2 black Angus heifrs (looking to buy another) 1 is 325lbs other is 435...The 435 has lice and has rubbed some spots on its rump and neck how can I treat it? And what does oramyicin do for calves...

I might be wrong on this, but I believe that Ivomec Plus will take care of both biting and sucking lice. Aueromycin is an antibiotic that is mixed in with receiving rations/other feeds to help prevent pneumonia due to the stress of weaning, processing through salebarns, and shipping to feedlots. We fed it at the rate of apprx 1 lb/calf for a period of a couple of months following weaning, and it drastically reduced our problems with pnemonia. Hubbard Feeds makes a receiving ration called AS70(that is what we fed) that has a licorice flavor and, for whatever reason, calves seem to love licorice. In addition to the prevention of pneumonia, it was fantastic with helping calves transition from their mother to a straight feed ration. I have also found that it works wonders with helping to get bottle calves started on grain if there is not a similar aged animal available to teach them.

Well they got out of the barn today my mom called and I was at my dads so we had to rush over there and get them up...Any ways back on topic can you mix and spray on the Ivomec Plus and how much is it...The bigger has the lice and she is bellowing some I figured she would be weaned because the little one is (I think)...I secured the place where they got out of the barn and then fed them a little hay and then left...They are not skittish at all my neighbor came up to help my mom time me and my dad got up there they had them penned up against the fence and herding them to the barn so when they went down the hallway of the barn I went to the other side to cut them off and they came within 2 foot from me and when i tried to shew them back they just sat there but we got them in the stable and secured... Ill try to post some pics sometime soon...Thanks to all..

Dixieangus":18t8c25b said:
Any ways back on topic can you mix and spray on the Ivomec Plus and how much is it...

Ivomec Plus comes premixed, all you have to do is read the directions and pour it on at the recommended rate according to the animals weight. I can't quote you a price because that is going to vary from region to region. Check out Jeffers Livestock Supply, Premier One, Valley Vet, or just google Ivomec Plus - there are a number of online sites that carry it and the price could be cheaper than your local suppliers.

ivomec plus is an injectable. if you're going to pour it on something, you might as well just pour it on the ground. that will be just as effective at wasting your money without stressing your cattle by having to treat them twice.

actually, you only need to use ivomec plus if you have concerns with liver flukes. regular ivomec or one of the generic ivermectins (or cydectin, or dectomax, etc.) will take care of your lice, along with internal parasites. all of those products are available in a pour-on.

but if your only concern is with the lice, one of the lice pour-ons such as cylence will work. or you can mix up a permethrin and spray it on.

ignoring lice works well for me.