Cultipack after Seeding down in Hay (Timothy/Alfalfa)?

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmerDaveo

Reaction score
I ran the cultipacker over the field before seeding but my neighbour thought using the cultipacker again after seeding down with small seed such as Timothy/Alfalfa may get it too deep. What are your thoughts as I don't have a flat roller easily available at the moment.

Thanks,

I have used both the last few years. the right answer may depend on what you used to seed your timothy/alfalfa. if you used a seeder that you feel confident that the seed was planted below the surface of the ground, a roller would be OK in most cases. if you had it custom applied and just deposited on top of the ground, the cultipacker would have to be used. seed that remains on top of the soil will only have about a 20% chance to germinate and grow even after pressed down with the roller. In my case, my old seeder has disc openers for larger seed like oats but the alfalfa seed just drops on the surface of the ground, so the cultipacker works best for me. the cultipacker will also help level the ground which the roller does not do a very good job doing. I prefer the cultipacker with the teeth set so they just scratch the surface to about an inch down. I use the cultipacker before and after seeding but the before seeding pass has the teeth down deeper to get a softer seed bed.

We run a culti-mulcher once before we drill and twice after we drill alfalfa and orchard grass. Turns out good for us. Unless you get 4" of rain the next day like this year. Then it tends to wash a little.

Same. I've even had a good catch after very lightly running a Disc Harrow.

It's common practice around here to use an "Icelandic Air Seeder" for small seeds. Blend alfalfa/grass etc w/ fertilizer and use a fertilizer spreader to apply. Harrow 2 or 3x and pack.

Latest posts